LEAD SOLID WASTE ENVIRONMENTAL PLANNER, ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT OFFIC
Posted on Nov 16, 2018 by Arlington County (Virginia) Government
The Environmental Management Office (EMO) provides contract and project management for various programs within the Solid Waste Bureau (SWB). It serves as the technical resource on environmental issues for the County focusing on waste management to include waste reduction, recycling, and reuse.
This Environmental Planner will use project management, analytical and research skills in the planning, development and management of solid waste programs, education and outreach efforts, contracts, and compliance efforts for the public and County staff.
Specific duties include:
- Managing, planning, organizing, and coordinating programs within the SWB's Environmental Management Office;
- Supervising, mentoring, and coordinating efforts of professional staff;
- Evaluating existing programs and developing and implementing innovative practices to improve internal processes, service delivery, and/or reduce the generation of solid waste and maximize recycling and composting;
- Recommending and drafting regulatory code amendments as appropriate in response to programmatic changes;
- Attending Board, civic association, committee, and other internal and external meetings as required;
- Writing, editing, and reviewing Board items, reports, contracts, purchasing solicitations, education and outreach materials, and other technical documents;
- Preparing operational budget and periodically reviewing budget expenditures;
- Performing numerical and programmatic analyses and effectively communicating both orally and in writing;
- Developing and maintaining cooperative working relationships within the SWB, other County departments, Solid Waste Committee, County Civic Associations, other local governments, and the business community; and
- Supporting emergency operations as required, which may include evening and weekend work.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced professional with strong creative, analytical, interpersonal, organizational, and communication (oral and written) skills with the ability to synthesize quantitative and qualitative technical information, and complex ideas into formats that are easily understood by the general public.Selection Criteria
Minimum: A combination of education and/or experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in environmental science or related field and considerable progressively responsible experience in the planning and management of solid waste and/or recycling or other directly related programs.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may substitute for the education requirement on a year for year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with a Master's degree in Public Administration, Urban Planning, Environmental Sciences or related field plus one or more of the following:
- Experience managing and mentoring professional staff and diverse project teams;
- Contract drafting/management experience;
- Knowledge of sustainability, solid waste, zero waste and/or other environmental policies and programs;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite products; and/or
- Experience with databases for solid waste tracking.
A writing sample will be administered to candidates invited for interview.
Applicant must possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's state of residence at the time of appointment. The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
This position will work 40 hours per week. Normal work hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The work location is the County Trades Center, Solid Waste Bureau, th Street, South, Arlington, VA 22206. This position may be required to work during emergencies regardless of whether some or all County facilities are closed or programs and services are canceled.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.