Posted on Nov 16, 2018 by Arlington County (Virginia) Government
The Information Services Bureau (ISB) in The Department of Human Services (DHS) is seeking a Database Analyst with strong analytical and technical skills as well as experience in designing, developing, and implementing of data warehouse/data marts to support ongoing data analysis and business intelligence functions in the department. The mission of DHS is to strengthen, protect and empower the citizens of Arlington County by providing various services. DHS has over 700 staff providing services to the community in programs for aging and disability, children and families, housing, public health, mental health, and substance abuse. The ISB has seventeen staff managing many applications to support these programs.
As a Database Analyst, this employee will implement and maintain technical solutions around enterprise data, data warehouse and reporting data marts. The employee will participate in technology projects, especially in SQL server, in support of data migration, data conversion, data interfaces, and cross system integration. The Database Analyst will also be responsible for establishing quality assurance mechanisms, working with technical staff and customers, and learning and understanding information for the delivery of human services.
- Create a new DHS data warehouse framework that collects, transforms, and loads data from multiple source systems used in the department and provides data mining and enterprise wide reporting capabilities;
- Develop relational, multidimensional, data marts and dashboards to be used for further analysis by business owners; and
- Implement and support new data analysis and reporting tools to be used by analysts and business owners.
- Implementing a framework that optimizes ETL data warehouse processes and supports new data mining activities including the development of multidimensional data marts based on business functions and specific business requirements to facilitate data analysis, reporting and visualization;
- Developing data interfaces and integration modules across multiple systems to meet data needs and support business processes for an integrated services department;
- Leading data conversion, and system migration efforts to ensure data accurately migrates from source to target systems and meets quality and usability standards;
- Establishing quality control procedures to verify accuracy and timely processing of all expected data, and implementing corrective action plans to ensure data meets requirements; and/or
- Participating as an active team member, or as a sole contributor, in technology implementation projects as assigned.
- Hands on experience on developing SQL store procedures, and SSIS Integration packages;
- Experience in data mining processes and development of reports using SQL; features, SQL Server Management Services (SSMS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server or Analysis Services (SSAS);
- Strong technical and problem-solving skills to use data from disparate source systems and develop solutions to solve specific business challenges; and
- Strong personal and communication skills to effectively work among different stakeholders and technical staff.
MINIMUMS: A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Management, Software Engineering, or a related field, and:
- Considerable experience working with databases including developing SQL stored procedures, SSIS Integration Packages, SSRS reports, and SSAS scripts; and
- demonstrated knowledge in designing and implementing data warehouse architecture.
- Experience in developing and implementing interfaces and integration applications across large and disparate systems; and/or
- Working with government agencies or nonprofit organizations to support a variety of business intelligence functions.
The applicant must possess, or obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence or the applicant must have the ability or willingness to use alternative methods of transportation to perform assigned duties and responsibilities at locations other than the primary worksite. If the applicant possesses or acquires a license, the applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide, copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
A pre-hire background check will be made on candidates selected for employment. It may include checks of the following: criminal record, driving record, education, professional licensure, credit history and state of Virginia child abuse registry.
Work Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 p.m. with some flexibility.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.