CONSTRUCTION PLANS EXAMINER (STRUCTURAL ENGINEER)
Posted on Nov 15, 2018 by Arlington County (Virginia) Government
Arlington County's Department of Community Planning, Housing and Development (CPHD) is seeking a senior level technical and administrative employee to work under the direction of the Building Official and Field Services Manager. The employee will be responsible for monitoring projects and reviewing reports from Special Inspection agencies during building construction regarding compliance with Arlington County Special Inspection program requirements. This position has a career ladder up to $103,958.40 with satisfactory performance of senior level requirements and certification in two or more plan review specialty areas.
Specific duties include:
- Reviewing development and monitoring construction documents for compliance with the International Building Code, and the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code;
- Interpreting and enforcing codes, regulations and ordinances;
- Reviewing building plans for Multi-family Residential, Commercial and High-Rise structures;
- Performing daily field inspections in order to monitor and verify that ongoing construction is in compliance with Building Codes;
- Providing code consultation services to builders, developers, engineers, property owners, architects and other governmental agencies;
- Attending state sponsored code update meetings;
- Representing the Division and the County at meetings and public hearings; and
- Physically transporting building plans to various work locations.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Considerable knowledge of applicable codes, statutes, regulations, and computer applications, and ability to apply modern principles and practices of the engineering/technical field;
- Skill in negotiating agreements with engineers, developers, contractors, and governmental professionals to bring about compliance with applicable permitting, engineering, and code requirements;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships among staff, community representatives, and representatives from other jurisdictions, and the ability to work effectively as a team participant;
- Ability to acquire the knowledge of the legal mandates which define/limit the public service mission of the division and department; and
- Ability to express oneself clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
Minimum: A two-year (Associate's) degree or technical school program equivalent to 60 college level semester hours in a field related to Architecture, Engineering (structural or civil); plus extensive experience in a discipline related to building structure/engineering.
- Completion of the requirements for graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering related to area of specialization may substitute for the Associates Degree and some of the required experience.
- Additional qualifying experience may substitute for the education requirement on a year for year basis.
- Bachelor's degree in Architecture, engineering (structural or civil) or a discipline related to building structure/engineering is preferred;
- Experience with the International Code Council (ICC) codes in commercial (and/or high rise) building design, construction or plan review;
- ICC or Virginia State certification & a building inspector and building plans examiner and/or
- Licensure in the Commonwealth of Virginia as a Professional Engineer with specialty in structural engineering.
- PHYSICAL CONDITION: Must be in good physical condition to conduct daily field inspections and to lift 50 - 70 pounds of related work documents and equipment.
- Employee MUST take the Virginia Code Academy Core Training Module, Plan Review Structural, and Plan Review Non-Structural Training Modules, and must successfully pass the Virginia State Building Plans Examiner examination within one year from the initial date of employment or possess Virginia Building Plans Examiner certification at time of employment.
- Applicant must obtain, by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence and the applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
This position is part of a career program that establishes developmental requirements and certifications in additional plan review specialty areas. Entry salary is based on a review of qualifications and experience. Position may be filled at a level I or level II based on qualifications and appropriate certifications.
This is a 40 hour a week position with flexible hours generally between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Arlington County (Virginia) Government
TMG Construction Corporation