GYMNASTICS INSTRUCTOR (MULTIPLE TEMPORARY VACANCIES)
Posted on Nov 16, 2018 by Arlington County (Virginia) Government
Arlington County's Department of Parks and Recreation is currently recruiting for several instructors and/or coaching staff for temporary seasonal employment in their popular and growing programs.
Arlington County Gymnastics is looking for reliable, enthusiastic, positive people who can work with children of all ages. Our successful, well-established program offers gymnastics to both boys and girls starting from parent and tot classes through preschool and level classes based on the USA Gymnastics program. Specialty programs include camps, birthday parties, special events, teens, adapted, and adults. Arlington Gymnastics also offers girls USAG Xcel competitive team and USAG Junior Olympic competitive team (boys and girls).
Specific duties include:
- Providing tailored Gymnastics instruction to class participants while evaluating student performance;
- Preparing for class instruction, lesson plans and curriculum;
- Setting up equipment prior to class and securing equipment after class;
- Inspecting equipment and reporting unsafe equipment to supervisor;
- Recommending purchase of supplies and equipment;
- Completing required class paperwork, such as attendance reports.
- Instructors needed for weekday evenings and weekends (both Saturday and Sunday)
- Girls Junior Olympic Competitive Team
- Girls Xcel Competitive Team
- Boys Junior Olympic Competitive Team
- Boys Xcel Competitive Team
- Adapted Gymnastics (participants with disabilities)
- Recreational Classes (preschool, youth and adult)
Recreation Instructor I starts at $17.34 per hour
This position is typically assigned to beginner-level classes, or classes where less technical expertise is required to effectively instruct class participants.
Recreation Instructor II starts at $20.56 per hour
This position is typically assigned intermediate, or single-level classes. Concepts taught throughout the course are moderately complex.
Recreation Instructor III starts at $23.77 per hour
This position is typically assigned advanced-level classes. Concepts taught throughout the course are complex. This position may also be assigned to teach therapeutic recreation courses or sections specifically designed for participants with disabilities. Subject matter taught may necessitate additional safety considerations by the instructor. Recreation Instructor III positions are expected to have the knowledge and ability to serve as a substitute instructor for many other classes within the general area of expertise. Selection Criteria
Recreation Instructor I: High school diploma or GED plus 400 hours of technical experience in Gymnastics.
Recreation Instructor II: High school diploma or GED plus 800 hours of technical experience in Gymnastics, of which at least 50 hours must be as an instructor.
Recreation Instructor III: High school diploma or GED plus 1200 hours of technical experience in Gymnastics, of which at least 50 hours must be as an instructor.
Substitution: Additional education may be substituted for experience requirement, with each year of post-high school education substituting for 400 hours of technical experience. However, additional education may not be substituted for the instructing hours' requirement.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with the following:
- Previous involvement in a competitive or recreational gymnastics program.
- Current or previous gymnastics instruction through coaching or teaching.
- Experience working with children of all ages.
Work Hours: Some daytime work available, but most hours are in the afternoons, evening and on weekends.
All work hours are completed at Barcroft Sports & Fitness Center located in Arlington County, Virginia. Main work location is 4200 S. Four Mile Run Dr. Arlington, VA.
Note: This recruitment is open continuous with a preferred filing date of November 15, 2018. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible. Qualified applicants in this first group will be referred to the hiring manager and interviews will be conducted on a regular basis throughout the recruitment with candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.