CHIEF OPERATING ENGINEER, WATER UTILITY
Posted on Nov 16, 2018 by Arlington County (Virginia) Government
Arlington County's Department of Environmental Services is hiring a Chief Operating Engineer to be responsible for managing the operation of the County's water utility storage capacity, distribution system and water line maintenance operations, as well as the water line Capital Improvement Program (CIP). This position is in the Water Utility section of the Water, Sewer, and Streets (WSS) Bureau.
Specific duties include:
- Providing technical and operational supervision to the work teams on system maintenance and operational programs related to water storage and distribution systems;
- Providing engineering guidance to optimize work efficiency of valve operations/exercise, pump stations and line maintenance, meter repair/reading, and the Water Control Center;
- Using operational data to coordinate engineering plans with the Engineering Support unit on comprehensive line replacement;
- Managing Trades Manager/Leaders positions including hiring, disciplinary actions and performance evaluations for a total subordinate group of approximately 83 full-time employees (FTEs);
- Coordinating the work of the unit with other WSS units, ensuring compliance with County standards and protocols;
- Overseeing and ensuring effective backfill compaction, instituting and implementing disinfection protocol in main break repairs;
- Serving as the Bureau lead on emergency responses;
- Working cooperatively with other jurisdictions and the Metropolitan Council of Governments in regional decision and contractor support to utilize assigned resources and maximize service delivery and customer satisfaction;
- Overseeing staff responsible for responding to inquiries, service requests and complaints (GRAMS), and ensuring the GRAMS are complete;
- Coordinating operations with the other major programmatic areas within the Bureau; and
- Serving as the County representative in the Washington Aqueduct Water Authority meetings.
Minimum: Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or related technical field, plus considerable years of progressively responsible experience in managing programs which includes experience providing technical and operational oversight in a similar or directly related environment and direct supervisory experience.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year for year basis such that a combination of education and progressively responsible experience in engineering operations management, program management and/or other directly related operations management experience is equal to seven years. Education beyond Bachelor's degree may not substitute for experience.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Extensive experience supervising trades employees in a public works or utility operation/organization; and/or
- Registration as a Professional Engineer.
Note: A cover letter of application is required. Please use the space provided in the supplemental questionnaire to insert a letter or attach to your application. See the supplemental questionnaire for details.
The applicant must possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence. If the applicant possesses a license, the applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
Normal work hours are 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m. (flexible), with some work hours outside of normal work schedule due to emergencies 24/7 operations.
This position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis. Interviews will be scheduled with those candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
Starting salary will depend upon the qualifications and experience of the candidate selected. This position is in the Arlington County Government's Extended Management Accountability Program (XMAP2), in which Senior Executives are eligible for a negotiated salary/benefits package and are evaluated and compensated on the basis of a performance agreement linked to the County Management Plan, results achieved, and a multi-rater appraisal. XMAP is a flexible total rewards/compensation system directly linked to performance and the market.
For more information on Arlington's family friendly benefits, click here .