Posted on Nov 11, 2018 by Georgetown University
The Security Officer maintains the integrity of assigned buildings or areas by understanding access control systems, circulation and safety systems, and emergency exits in event of an emergency. The incumbent is aware of and understands all special and general orders pertaining to area, building or functions of job, inspects and reports security and safety of area or building and reports all deficiencies to his/her supervisor. S/he maintains knowledge of traffic flow and recognizes unusual incidents or unwarranted intrusion and effects prompt and proper requests for assistance when required. Utilizes communications available for reporting purposes. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provides building and vehicular access control.
- Provides walking patrol in and around buildings on and immediately off campus.
- Observes and reports security issues, including broken/malfunctioning doors, unauthorized entry, and burned out lights.
- Makes appropriate recommendations to alleviate same.
- Monitors and reports all physical problems as they develop in residential and multipurpose buildings and other university facilities where access is required.
- Maintains regular radio contact with communications center and supervisor, and requests assistance from SPOs, as necessary. Must be able to use a variety of communication devices for emergencies.
- May provide security at University events.
- Maintains interaction with students, faculty, staff, visitors, and community members to provide access into university facilities and provide information.
- May operate SafeRides or other University vehicles, as dispatched by GUPD.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- 1 year of general work experience; 1 year of security, law enforcement or military experience is preferred (An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered in lieu of above requirements)
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license with no violations in the last three years and able to pass Georgetown University driver's certification
- Must qualify for a Security Officer License in the District of Columbia
- All applicants are subject to a written test, a report writing test, drug test, physical examination by a medical doctor to University specifications, and extensive psychological testing. Must be able to pass a comprehensive background investigation
- Basic computer skills, including word processing are essential. Administrative and clerical skills are a plus
- Must possess tact, patience, a professional and courteous demeanor, and a pleasant personality in order to deal with students, staff, faculty, visitors, and community members. Must respect the use of services in relation to a University environment. Good verbal and written communications skills, including report writing, are essential
- Position is considered as essential under the University Personnel policy guidelines and therefore is subject to be on call when necessary. Must be willing to work extended, odd, or off hours to achieve the expectations of the Department. This may include rotating tours of duty (day shifts, evening shifts, overnight shifts) with fluctuating days off, according to departmental needs
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS ( gms.georgetown.edu ) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at or .
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call . For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website .
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law .
G4S Secure Solutions