Posted on Nov 11, 2018 by Georgetown University
Business Analyst - School of Continuing Studies (SCS)
The Business Analyst is a key position on the School of Continuing Studies (SCS) Finance Team. This position works with 4 other positions within SCS to manage the financial operations in the School of Continuing Sudies to ensure that all financial transactions flowing through the SCS shared service center is in compliance with promulgated University policies and business processes, and are coded correctly to ensure meaningful financial reporting for senior administrators.
This position will provide a broad range of customer service, operational and financial support by serving as the Requisitioner, Expense Preparer, Journal Preparer, Financial Reviewer, Cost Center Buyer, Grant Manager, and Financial Reporter within GMS Financials for SCS, specifically focusing on but not limited to the English Language Center (ELC) Special Programs department. In accordance with University policies and procedures, the incumbent processes requisitions, contracts, purchase orders and employee reimbursements, submits invoices and monitors vendor payments, initiates and reviews monthly ProCard reconciliations, researches issues and answers staff questions, and prepares journals to record financial transactions. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Aids in and tracks the BAR reconciliations for the areas to which the person is assigned.
- Analyzes financial transactions and prepares journals to correct errors. As Grant Manager, the position provides post-award services to departments within SCS, including preparing all grant related reports for PI review. As SCS grows, the number of departments to which this position will provide support will grow as well.
- Initiates all hiring paperwork for the Special Programs department, including faculty, staff/AAP, and student transactions.
- Participate in the analysis and problem resolution involving financial, administrative, and policy matters affecting SCS. The Business Analyst in this position serves as a resource to SCS staff on financial matters and University and Main Campus financial policies and procedures.
- Assists in implementing effective internal controls and overseeing adherence to University business policies and procedures.
- Provides exceptional customer support to assigned departments by accurately anticipating and/or identifying needs, troubleshooting issues, and executing effective resolutions in a timely manner and in compliance with promulgated policies.
- Serves as an expert on and ensure compliance with University, campus financial policies and procedures and will maintain a thorough understanding of GMS chart of account fields, values, and how they interrelate.
- Provides support to the Dean, associate and assistant deans, directors, and program managers of the School of Continuing Studies by managing the processes indicated above, advising on financial and operational matters, creating financial reports, processing financial and HR documentation, and answering budgetary and procedural questions. This position is one of eight members of the SCS Finance Team.
- Bachelor's degree
- 3-5 years of experience in an accounting or financial management environment.
- Experience in higher education financial administration is a plus.
- Contracting and/or procurement experience.
- Position requires understanding of accounting principles.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, with a mastery of Excel (vLookups, pivot tables, etc) and experience and/or familiarity with managing large volumes of data is required.
- Position responsibilities require attention to detail and excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must have excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- A service-oriented, professional demeanor and a team orientation (avoid "it's not my job") is required.
- Must have poise, diplomacy and confidence to handle all situations, especially those of a confidential nature and in interactions with senior University administrators.
- Must be able to work well under pressure and have a sense of humor.
- Skilled and successful at prioritizing work and multi-tasking to meet deadlines.
- Strong time management skills are a must.
- Must be detail oriented and able to think outside the box to solve issues creatively.
- GMS (Workday) experience
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS ( gms.georgetown.edu ) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at or .
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call . For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website .
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law .