Senior Contracts Manager
Posted on Nov 11, 2018 by Georgetown University
According to Georgetown University By-Laws, the University Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer, and/or their delegates are exclusively authorized to execute formal contracts on behalf of the institution. The Sr. Contracts Manager is responsible for oversight of contract review and the internal contract work-flow processes. Through the contract review process, the Sr. Contracts Manager is expected to provide expert guidance to those within the University Community seeking legally binding agreements, with the goal of minimizing risk and liability to the University in accordance with University policy and audit requirements prior to execution.
The contracting process is typically initiated by University Departments or by the Strategic Sourcing team within Financial Affairs. The Sr. Contracts Manager will also participate in developing and negotiating assigned contracts as well as verify that University policies associated with supplier qualification and selection have been followed. The Sr. Contracts Manager ensures that approvals have been obtained from the University's offices of General Counsel, Risk Management, Tax, Compliance, Facilities and Information Services, as appropriate, prior to obtaining the Treasurer's or the Chief Procurement Officer's signature on any contract. Contracts review and execution must occur quickly and efficiently. The Sr. Contracts Manager will work collaboratively and in a manner that consistently promotes and reinforces an organizational culture dedicated to superior customer service.
In addition to the formal contract review process, Sr. Contracts Managers are expected to play a significant role in the University's achievement of' ambitious savings targets. New enterprise supplier agreements will replace previous "preferred vendor" contracts. These new agreements entail business process and relationship governance features such as service level agreements, supplier performance metrics, and "punch-out" systems integrations that have not previously been deployed at Georgetown. Sr. Contracts Managers will be responsible for making these new supplier agreements successful.
Senior Contracts Manager (SCM)
The Senior Contracts Manager (SCM) will report directly to the Senior Director of Strategic Sourcing and Contracts and s/he will manage the day-to-day procurement for capital projects of the University. SCM will assist in the preparation, review, and administration of contractual proposals relating to capital projects (e.g., construction projects).
Responsible for preparing bids and negotiating specifications for materials, equipment, manpower, or other capital-related purchases for goods and services. Secures all necessary approvals and ensures that the University's procedures are followed. Requires at least a Juris Doctorate degree [from an accredited college or university] in any area of specialty and 1-3 years of experience in the field or in a related area. Familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures, preferably, in the area of construction. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks. May lead and direct the work of others. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Typically reports to a manager or head of a unit/department. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Oversee the daily operations of the procurement of specified commodities, ensure that the personnel assigned to procure those commodities are assigned tasks and provide timely service to stakeholders. The SCM will monitor and balance workload for the team; track the purchasing of those commodities, and assist the Senior Director on audit and reporting of those commodities.
- Perform special procurement initiatives to manage specified commodities that the University procures. S/he will ensure that the procurement of those specified commodities are conducted and managed while providing periodic reports regarding the purchasing of those commodities.
- Act as a liaison between the University, Vendors and Contractors to ensure all informational and financial needs are met for all projects and strategic sourcing requirements. The SCM will promote exceptional customer service and dedication to problem solving in response to stakeholder and vendor inquiries.
- Assist the Senior Director with the implementation of the training, SOPs, and procurement functions and processes for capital projects for the University and will lead training sessions for University staff.
- Provide staff development, supervision, coaching, and counseling to the contract managers and other procurement staff; and assist or participate in hire/fire decisions and merit reviews consistent with university policies and procedures. Other duties that, from time to time, may be required to help the department to meet its objectives.
- Ability to work under multiple deadlines.
- Advanced procurement and/or legal skills.
- Familiarity with accounting software and procurement management systems
- Proficiency working with Excel spreadsheets
- Technical writing proficiency
- Juris doctorate
- Experience in the construction industry
- Project management experience
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS ( gms.georgetown.edu ) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at or .
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call . For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website .
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law .