Head of Reference
Posted on Nov 11, 2018 by Georgetown University
Head of Reference - Georgetown University Law Library
Georgetown Law Library is one of the country's premier legal research institutions, with a dynamic staff of over 50 people and a collection exceeding one million volumes. We strive to live up to our motto: "Supporting Scholarship, Excelling in Service, Leading in Technology."
Located in the nation's capital, and within walking distance of the U.S. Congress and the Supreme Court, Georgetown University Law Library is seeking applications for a Head of Reference, based in the Edward Bennett Williams Law Library. The Head of Reference manages all aspects of the library's reference department to ensure that the library provides high-quality professional research and information services to Law Center faculty, staff, students, and other patrons.Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinates reference desk coverage provided by 15-20 librarians covering weekday, evening, and weekend hours.
- Supervises legal research instructional programs.
- Oversees development of guides and other research aids for the library website.
- Participates in collection development with a focus on U.S. law.
- Leads reference service initiatives and outreach programs.
- Supervises 6 full-time librarians and coordinates both the library's faculty liaison program and one full-time paraprofessional in consultation with Heads of the International and Foreign Law Department and Library Research Services.
- J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school or non-U.S. J.D. equivalent
- Master's degree from an ALA-accredited school of library and/or information studies or non-U.S. Master's degree equivalent
- 3 or more years of library experience
- Supervisory experience
- Experience teaching
- Experience with legal research materials, including online legal databases
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Evidence of teamwork, strong service and work ethic, creativity, initiative, and flexibility
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for the Head of Reference position, please submit applications via the Georgetown University Careers portal and include a cover letter, a current resume, and the names and contact information for three references. Address applications to Joseph W. Thomas, Acting Director of the Law Library. To receive full consideration, application materials should be received by October 3, 2018.
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS ( gms.georgetown.edu ) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at or .
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call . For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website .
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law .