Senior Network Engineer
Posted on Nov 11, 2018 by Georgetown University
Senior Network Engineer - Network and Computing Systems (NCS)
The Network and Computing Systems (NCS) organization manages and provides support for the University's integrated network (data/telecommunications/video), data center production control for academic and administrative processing, systems management of enterprise server infrastructure and facilities infrastructure project management.
To achieve this goal, NCS focuses on the following strategies:
- Reduce system downtime and increase operating efficiencies by ensuring that management of all systems and services follow defined standards and operating procedures and that all problems are resolved in a timely manner.
- Prioritizing activities using a goal driven process that, in combination with external benchmarking and research, attempts to maximize the mapping of our team's activities to user-prioritized, business goals (i.e. we strive to work on the highest value activities while saying 'no' to lower value distractions).
- Increasing collaboration at all levels (e.g. within and between teams, with other UIS divisions, and with our user communities).
The Integrated Network Operations (INO) team is responsible for network services implementation and third-level technical support and includes the responsibilities of the Facilities Project Management (FPM) team who are responsible for oversight and change management of the University's cable plant infrastructure. These teams also work together to develop, present and manage projects for various University enterprise and departmental customers and provide the primary communication link to the Georgetown University Facilities division. The combined INO services teams are responsible for operations support of the University's data/voice/video services and infrastructure, deployment of enterprise network equipment, monitoring of enterprise network performance and video conferencing. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Maintains the critical enterprise network and voice systems and will carry a cell phone for managing and participating in the resolution, communication and escalation of system events and outages. He/she will be required to work off-hours in the early mornings and late evenings to accommodate the requirements of the change management procedures.
- Responsible for Integrated Network Operations (data, voice, video and network cabling).
- Supports daily functions, ticketing, on-call, troubleshooting, maintenance, and installation and management of network cable and related infrastructure.
- Responsible for ensuring all network components are at consistent releases of software and firmware and manages network services including DNS and DHCP, and security services including firewalls and ACL's.
- Works closely and in collaboration with the Data Security Office ensuring established standards are met.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Five Years of senior-level network engineering in a large, complex and diverse enterprise network.
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP and network routing and switching protocols including OSPF, BGP, and MPLS is required.
- Experience managing security systems such as Firewalls, VPNs and network services such as F5 Load Balancers.
- Excellent interpretive and listening skills.
- The ability to address and present technical issues to technical and non-technical staff.
- Mastery of e-mail and office productivity tools such as word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software such as PowerPoint, engineering diagramming such as Visio.
- Basic understanding of the statistical analysis and budgeting.
- The ability to design, monitor and improve quality control procedures
- Cisco CCNP or CCIE certification is desired.
- Experience with tools such as Cisco Prime, Cisco ISE, Nagios and Solarwinds desired.
- Experience with UNIX environment shell scripts, PERL and tools such as CVS desired.
- Experience in Systems Programming/Development, Electrical, UPS and power distribution systems, high-density cabling systems is a plus.
- Experience with automation, Ansible, and Python is a plus
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS ( gms.georgetown.edu ) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at or .
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call . For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website .
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law .