Senior Controls Hardware Designer
Posted on Nov 20, 2018 by Affinity Executive Search
The senor controls hardware engineer leads a team of controls hardware engineers for designing metal cutting, assembly, and test systems. These designs will be a mixture of standards, past projects, and new. This person works with internal teams (mechanical engineers, project managers, commissioning) external suppliers (controls design, panel builders), and customers. We have a broad customer base including traditional automotive (GM, Chrysler, Ford) and others
As a senior Controls Hardware Engineer you will start a project at the beginning and follow it through final customer acceptance. You will review customer specifications, standards / past projects, and lead a team of other hardware engineers in designing the complete controls portion of the machine (electrical, fluids, and pneumatics). You will be responsible for producing a quality design on schedule, getting customer acceptance, reviewing panel build, and assisting as required while the machine is being built and debugged. Some short duration travel is possible for customer meetings, field checks, or installation support.
The following requirements are essential for this position:
* Experienced in designing controls hardware
* Competent in 2D AutoCAD and ePlan
* Able to work well in a team-oriented environment
* Must have good time management skills and be able to meet deadlines
* Experience in understanding and following customer specifications
The abilities listed below are preferred, but we can train a person meeting the above minimum requirements:
* Experience in fluids and pneumatic design
* Experience in leading a team of design engineers
* Good communications skills (written and verbal)
* Familiarity with common national standards (NEC, IEC, CE, UL508)
* Ability to draft and follow standards
* Ability to combine standards, past project designs, and new designs
* Ability to check designs from other engineers for errors or inconsistencies
* Ability to read, understand, and interpret mechanical prints
* Experience in conducting field checks of existing equipment
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
* OVERALL EXPERIENCE a minimum of five years experience related to controls hardware design using E-PLAN is preferred.
* JOB TRAINING employees in this position usually require training involving on-the-job experience, informal training with experienced workers, and formal training with qualified experts. Spen-Tech regularly provides our employees with all three types of training.
* EDUCATION a bachelors degree in electrical / computer engineering or electronics technology and a minimum of five years related experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Travel may be required for visiting customer sites, external suppliers etc. Possession of a valid U.S. passport may be required. This travel will be infrequent and generally short duration (1 day to 2 weeks)
Job Type: Full-time
* E-PLAN: 5 years