Sr. Test (Controls) Engineer
Posted on Nov 17, 2018 by Rockwell Automation
The Rockwell Automation System Test Engineer will be responsible for the functional and/or system testing of Rockwell Automation products, components and systems. As a System Test Engineer, you will have the opportunity to become an expert with new Rockwell products during their development, before they reach any user.
As a System Test Engineer for the Control and Visualization system test team, you will be responsible for test planning, test case generation and test execution utilizing analysis, construction, and automation frameworks that are unique to the industrial automation problem and - in some cases - unlike processes used anywhere else in the industry. You will define and build system test environments that push the limits of Rockwell product capabilities in all product families: Logix, networking, functional safety, motion control, HMI, and manufacturing information system.
State of the art troubleshooting and debug techniques are a focus of the system test team - you will learn to deploy and utilize the most sophisticated real-time firmware debugging equipment and tools available today.
In this position, you will be a key player in ensuring that developed products are robust, defect free, meet performance requirements, and are within total quality management standards.
When you join our System Test group, you become part of a team that believes in knowledge sharing and collaboration and that is committed to using reliable and well-thought-out test engineering practices and technology to overcome any challenges.
We are looking for someone who will take ownership of their career growth and who will actively seek opportunities to improve their skills and increase their technical knowledge. The ideal candidate will be able to openly seek feedback and will effectively develop a positive working relationship with the team.
- Performs routine system testing utilizing existing test collateral and test cases. Responsible for reporting any issues identified and documenting test results for follow-up. Responsible for working with the development team to characterize any issues found.
- Develops new test collateral - mostly control system applications - and test cases in response to new product or system requirements
- Develops knowledge and understanding of system testing practices.
- Actively seeks and improves knowledge of system test development processes.
- Evaluates, challenges, and researches possible solutions by seeking input from subject matter experts to ensure fact-based recommendations and decisions are being made during all phases of product development.
- Establishes a timeline for assigned tasks/projects and is able to track and report progress as well as meet deadlines.
- Is able to utilize test tools and methods to ensure full system test coverage is attained.
- Conducts informal presentations to small groups regarding specific technical topics.
EOE, M/F/Disabled, Vet
- Bachelor's degree
- Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Academic major in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering.
- 5+ years related experience
- A concentration in software/firmware or equivalent knowledge in the areas of software/firmware engineering (software requirements analysis, software design, software testing)
- PLC programming experience
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Must exhibit good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- 2 or more years of experience in Software Testing, Product Testing, Firmware Testing, Software Development, Applications Engineering work, Technical Support, System Integration or Field Service work, or other Testing/Quality Assurance role, especially in the area of industrial safety products
- Control system and manufacturing automation experience and/or domain knowledge
- Able to apply knowledge of test methodologies
- Experience with Rockwell Automation products or other industrial safety control equipment
- Experience with industrial safety products
- Knowledge of TUV certification for safety products
- Experience with motion/servo based controllers and drives is a plus
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Architecture and Software
Engineering and Technicians
No. of Positions:
Mayfield Heights - Ohio
Rockwell Automation, the world's largest company dedicated to industrial automation, makes its customers more productive and the world more sustainable. Throughout the world, our flagship Allen-Bradley(R) and Rockwell Software(R) product brands are recognized for innovation and excellence.
When you choose Rockwell Automation, you join countless talented employees who have helped us establish our leadership position in the automation industry over the past century.
You join a diverse, inclusive and global community with a passion for innovation. A place where you can partner with great minds and inspiring people. And a corporation backed by the financial strength that drives growth - and career opportunities.
As much as we focus on our customers, we know our employees are key to our success and future. Helping you develop a rewarding career is a top priority. Because when you succeed, we succeed.
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, email our Talent Acquisition representative at (see application details).
Download the EEO is the Law poster and the supplement for more information.