Test Engineer, Project
Posted on Nov 21, 2018 by Rockwell Automation
As a Software Project Engineer for Rockwell Automation, you will have the opportunity to design and develop industry-leading commercial software known for its innovation and usability. You will also be responsible for performing intermediate to complex level software testing tasks including, but not limited to, test architecture, development, planning, scheduling, and execution.
In this position, you will be a key player in subsystem design, implementation, and testing. You will play an active role in all the stages of the development lifecycle and support your team throughout the process. You will also help ensure that developed products meet requirements and are within total quality management standards. This position will allow you to collaborate with and influence multiple global cross-functional teams and may also require you to be the technical lead of a small to mid-sized team.
When you join our software engineering group, you become part of a team that believes in knowledge sharing and collaboration and that is committed to using reliable and well-thought-out engineering practices and technology to overcome any challenges.
We are looking for someone who will effectively leverage a diverse set of technical backgrounds and opinions by fostering a team-oriented environment and the use of open and direct communications, honesty and respect. The ideal candidate will also actively seek knowledge of new developments in the software engineering, computer engineering, and test automation fields and will identify and pursue career development and training opportunities.
- Independently gathers and documents requirements for a feature and its components, ensuring the information required for the development of software and corresponding test cases are contained in the specifications.
- Contributes to architectural design and independently develops system designs that meet the requirements. Provides estimates for the design. Considers tradeoffs between requirements, speed, cost and reliability in the choice of a design approach.
- Implements and documents code that meets the requirements of the software design.
- Develops and executes thorough unit test plans. Reports, analyzes, debugs and corrects anomalies. Takes the lead in the integration of other components by solving problems within and across subsystems to produce a final product. Responsibilities may extend to the technical management of the design, testing and integration of other engineers' work in related areas.
- Leads or participates in reviews of documents, designs, code, test cases and user documentation.
- Typically responsible for the ongoing maintenance and integrity of several software subsystems.
- Architects testing solutions at the project level.
- Estimates, plans, develops, and executes test suites, test cases and automated tests to ensure appropriate functional test coverage is attained.
- Leads the reviews of test plans and test cases, ensuring they validate documented software requirements.
- Performs complex product testing, reporting on problems encountered and documenting test results for follow-up.
- Builds relationships and interacts with peers to ensure assigned tasks are prioritized appropriately.
- Thinks outside the box and is willing to research and explore new avenues to overcome obstacles by utilizing the latest technologies and standards. May function as a go-to person for a technology, software methodology, test tools and methodologies, or other area of expertise.
- Takes the lead on identifying and recommending software development capability improvements in the areas of software development practices, development tools, and test automation.
- Clearly communicates and conveys design concepts, both verbally and in writing.
- Able to learn and understand complex control system concepts.
- Bachelor's degree
- Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening
- Academic major in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering
- Typically requires a minimum of eight years of experience in a software product development environment
- Proven application of C++, C#, or other relevant programming languages
- Proven application of data structures and algorithms
- Proven application of object-oriented designs
- Direct experience with design patterns and architecting modular software
- Direct experience with COM, and frameworks such as MFC and .NET
- Proven application of software test methodologies
- Direct experience developing test automation solutions
- Able to apply basic knowledge of testing highly integrated software products
- Direct experience with the Industrial Automation industry
- Previous technical team leadership
- Direct experience collaborating with local and global technical development teams
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Architecture and Software
Engineering and Technicians
No. of Positions:
Mayfield Heights - Ohio
Rockwell Automation, the world's largest company dedicated to industrial automation, makes its customers more productive and the world more sustainable. Throughout the world, our flagship Allen-Bradley(R) and Rockwell Software(R) product brands are recognized for innovation and excellence.
When you choose Rockwell Automation, you join countless talented employees who have helped us establish our leadership position in the automation industry over the past century.
You join a diverse, inclusive and global community with a passion for innovation. A place where you can partner with great minds and inspiring people. And a corporation backed by the financial strength that drives growth - and career opportunities.
As much as we focus on our customers, we know our employees are key to our success and future. Helping you develop a rewarding career is a top priority. Because when you succeed, we succeed.
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, email our Talent Acquisition representative at (see application details).
Download the EEO is the Law poster and the supplement for more information.