Department Chair and Professor - Biological Sciences
Posted on Nov 11, 2018 by University of Massachusetts Lowell
General Summary of Position:
The Department of Biological Sciences at the University of Massachusetts, Lowell invites applications for the position of Department Chair to begin September 2019. The successful applicant should have an outstanding record of publication and funded research. S/he is expected to maintain an externally-funded research program and, as leader of the department, contribute to the overall growth and quality of its programs, and to teach at the undergraduate and/or graduate level. The department has experienced a growth surge in both faculty and students during the last decade and this trend is expected to continue into the near future.
The department currently consists of 22 faculty, including those that teach and conduct externally-funded research and full-time lecturers. Faculty research interests are diverse including neuroscience, immunology, cancer biology, developmental biology, cell biology, molecular evolution, invertebrate systematics, functional morphology, structural biology, microbiology, virology, and biology education. Housed within a state university, the department serves a diverse student population of >700 undergraduate and >50 graduate students. The department has a Masters program and a newly approved Doctoral program in Applied Biology, which will matriculate its first cohort of students in the fall 2018. The department participates in 3 inter-departmental graduate (MS & PhD) programs in Biochemistry, Marine Biology, and Biomedical Engineering & Biotechnology. A number of our undergraduate students also conduct research, leading to theses, as required for Honors College degrees, and publications.
The University of Massachusetts, Lowell is located in the heart of the life sciences supercluster of the Northeast Massachusetts region, which is home to >100 life science companies. Together with the nearby biotechnology and biomedical hub in Boston/Cambridge, the candidate would also leverage the ample opportunities that exist for scientific interaction, exchange, and collaboration on campus, across the UMass system, as well as with local industries.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Doctorate in biology or a closely related field
- Record of teaching, scholarship and research funding that merit appointment to Department Chairperson at the level of full professor
- History of leadership within an academic setting
Duties of the Chairperson:
- Foster the development of department faculty, staff, and students and enhance the visibility of the Department of Biological Sciences both internally and externally
- Provide mentoring to junior faculty members by working closely with the Office of the Dean
- Work closely with the Office of the Dean to enhance the student experience
- Design and lead new curricular, programmatic, and research initiatives at the department, college and university levels
- Promote the expansion of collaborative research and partnerships with other departments across the Kennedy College of Sciences, the University, and others to provide innovative and integrated research and educational opportunities for our faculty and students
- Pursue scholarly research that complements current faculty research in the department of biological sciences
- Work effectively with a diverse group of students, faculty and staff to enhance the sense of the community within the department
- Manage course scheduling, budgeting, hiring and evaluation of faculty and staff, and assessment of programs
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit a CV, cover letter, vision statement describing your vision as Chair, research interest, and teaching philosophy with your application. Names and contact information for three references will be required at the time of application. References will be contacted for a letter of reference immediately after application submission. References will be required to upload recommendation letters to our on-line portal; neither emailed nor hard-copy letters will be accepted. *Three letters of reference are required.
Review of applications will begin on September 1, 2018 and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.