Principal Network Engineer
Posted on Nov 11, 2018 by University of Massachusetts Lowell
General Summary of Position:
UMass Lowell is a national research university with more than 18,000 students, located on a high-energy campus in the heart of a global community. The Information Technology office works closely with academic and administrative stakeholders across campus, delivering IT solutions and services that ensure transformative learning, groundbreaking research and efficient operations. With an annual budget exceeding $10 million, our award-winning team of 50-plus IT professionals has earned a reputation for implementing innovative and strategic solutions protected by leading-edge cybersecurity that help drive the success of our hardworking students.
The Principal Network Engineer is the most technical staff member in the Network Services group in Information Technology. The Principal Network Engineer is responsible for overall architecture and design of the university's network and related systems to meet the needs of UMass Lowell's strategic academic and business operations.
The Principal Network Engineer has a broad and deep view of UMass Lowell's information technology systems, as well as a thorough understanding of the business drivers that impact those technology systems. As a project coordinator and lead architect of multiple highly complex systems, the Principal Network Engineer is responsible for design, documentation and consulting on the implementation of multi-vendor network solutions. They work closely with the Manager of Network Services, colleagues in the Network Services, Voice Services, Information Security, and Systems Engineering teams, and with project managers, external consultants, and vendors to design robust, coordinated, and highly available network services.
Under the direction of the Manager of Network Services, the Principal Network Engineer is an advanced technical staff member responsible for the adoption and assimilation of both new technologies, and the integration and optimization of existing network investments in information technology. The Principal Network Engineer operates as a high level internal escalation point for all network-related issues, and functions as a mentor to other members of IT. In addition to knowledge of network systems, the Principal Network Engineer is expected to make meaningful contributions to all areas of UMass Lowells technology infrastructure, including data center communications, audio/visual, security and academic technologies. They are integral in the overall services delivered to all internal and external users of UMass Lowells IT service catalog.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelors degree or higher required
- Ten or more years of hands-on technical mastery in a network service team with increasing responsibility in a complex multi-vendor environment utilizing technologies such as multi-switch lag, VRRP, etc.
- A strong commitment to providing excellent customer support, consistent services, and a dedication to the success of our customers
- Expert in designing, supporting, and troubleshooting network routing, switching, wireless systems, firewalls, VoIP, and network management solutions in an Enterprise or University setting
- Experience using test equipment and diagnostic tools to resolve wired, wireless, and fiber issues, including hand held Fluke meters, Wireshark, and the analysis of packet captures
- Ten or more years of hands-on expertise with physical cabling, cabling standards, making and troubleshooting copper and fiber terminations, and related technologies to support these functions
- Eight or more years of experience supporting wireless standards, wireless encryption, and authentication systems
- Operational mastery of the Windows OS and other OS systems used by network services (i.e. Unix, XOS, Junos, etc).
- Thorough understanding of the OSI network model, Ethernet, TCP/IP, OSPF, and BGP
- Expert problem-solving skills with expert understanding of how network services work together to provide seamless connectivity
- The ability to explain complex technical concepts to a wide array of customers
- Comprehensive knowledge of DNS, DHCP, and data network technologies as they relate to the design and delivery of network services
- Industry-recognized certifications such as Extreme ECE or ECA, Aruba Certified Solutions Professional, Aruba Certified Mobility Associate, or Cisco CCIE or CCAR (or ability to achieve certifications within 6 months)
- Bachelor's degree in related discipline is preferred
- Additional industry-recognized certifications
- Experience designing, configuring, and troubleshooting network equipment from Extreme Networks, Aruba Networks, Juniper Networks, and AudioCodes
- Experience with Ridgeline, NetSight, Purview, and related network management/monitoring systems
- Experience with Network Access Control solutions
- Masters degree preferred
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.