Staff Software Engineer
Posted on Nov 19, 2018 by Etsy
Staff Software Engineer
New York, NY
Engineering - Systems Engineering
Etsy is seeking a Staff Software Engineer to join our team and help build and maintain the tools and infrastructure that directly impact the productivity of our engineering organization.
We are a small team (8), distributed across multiple time-zones and 2 continents, and agile team responsible for the tools that Etsy engineers use every single day in building, testing, and deploying our products to production. We are transitioning into a service organization. We partner with engineers to identify areas to improve the flow from code to production as we build the platform that connects millions of sellers and customers. Learn more about our engineering philosophies, tools, and some of the challenges we've been solving on our Engineering blog:
We're looking for people who excel at working with others, challenge the status-quo, and are extraordinary problem-solvers. We value clear communication, honest feedback, and empathy for the users of our services.
This full-time role is located in Brooklyn, NY.
About the Role
- We are in the midst of migrating our build, test, and deployment infrastructure to the cloud.
- There will be a mix of work supporting the current infrastructure, building the new one (using Kubernetes and Jenkins), and collaborating with other engineering teams in the migration.
- All team members participate in an on-call rotation for the services we support.
- You will partner across engineering teams to challenge how we do things today.
- You will be part of small projects to build and improve the software that make the lives of Etsy's engineers better.
- You understand how to write and help others write clean code (Java, PHP, Go, Ruby, Python, or any other).
- You have experience with Linux Administration.
- You are comfortable with cloud infrastructure (Google Cloud or AWS).
- You are familiar with container and container orchestration technologies (Kubernetes, Docker).
- You value and frequently commit to distributed version control systems (Git).
- You have a "leave it better than you found it" mentality, and are willing to work with and improve on code you did not originally write.
- You love to experiment and use data to drive decision-making.
- You understand that being an effective software engineer is as much about communicating with people as it is about writing code.
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you'd be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you're proud of, we'd love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.