Posted on Nov 14, 2018 by Etsy
New York, NY
Engineering - Software Engineering
Etsy's millions of buyers and sellers generate petabytes of data that we use for experimentation, marketing, analytics, financial reporting, and powering features on and off our site. The data engineering team's work helps us to continuously increase the quality of business decisions that we make on behalf of our users.
The Data Engineering team is looking for an enthusiastic and motivated Engineering Manager to lead the Business Data team and the Data Integrations team. The Business Data team owns all Etsy's canonical datasets and data pipelines, as well as the tooling & systems to democratize access to data that drive insights at Etsy. The Data Integrations team builds solutions to facilitate sending and receiving data between our big data stack and 3rd party vendors.
Our teams are dedicated to building good software design, data quality, and user privacy. Our Big Data stack includes Hadoop, Kafka, Kafka Streams, and Vertica, and we're in the process of moving to Google Cloud Platform.
This is a full-time role located in Brooklyn, NY.
About the Role
- As an Engineering Manager on the Data Engineering team.
- You are responsible for attracting, mentoring, supporting and retaining a team of top-notch engineers who design, build and support Etsy's Big Data Integrations infrastructure.
- You drive the technical and strategic vision of the team, and help translate day-to-day issues into coherent and robust systems.
- You collaborate with external (sometimes non-technical) stakeholders and customers throughout the company.
- You plan and prioritize the team's road map, and champion team projects internally.
- You have a passion for data related services, and understand good systems design.
- If you have specific experience building and supporting platforms and pipelines for data processing, that is a plus, as is experience with cloud services You have experience collaborating with teams that use data platforms to build products or internal tools.
- You are comfortable translating sometimes ambiguous business problems into plans that our engineers can act on and feel passionate about.
- You care about facilitating learning and growth on the team - you put our engineers first.
- You embody Etsy's dedication to just culture, and our commitment to equal opportunity, diversity, and inclusiveness.
- You are thoughtful about all the ways an engineering manager can have an impact.
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you'd be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you're proud of, we'd love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.