SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER (TRANSIT APPLICATIONS)
Posted on Nov 13, 2018 by Public Transportation Services Corporation (PTSC)
Leads, organizes, technically supervises and assumes primary responsibility for one or more project teams in performing system analysis, design and programming, trouble-shooting, modifications, maintenance, implementation and integration of one or more systems comprising large and /or highly-complex application areas and processes.
Example Of Duties
- Oversees software development and enhancement, and provides production support for business application systems on behalf of client departments
- Supervises and provides technical direction for a team of technical staff
- Sets guidelines and exercises leadership skills to establish and meet target dates on large and highly-complex projects involving multiple systems
- Performs system analysis, design, implementation and integration of highly complex application information systems
- Performs the most complex programming, system analysis and design of highly-complex systems using Information System Development Methodology in a multi-platform infrastructure and environment
- Consults and advises user departments and other Information Technology Services support teams on system requirements and enhancements and supports large computer systems for various departments
- Recommends approval of system designs and interacts with user managers and department users in a senior leadership capacity
- Resolves highly difficult problems in large highly complex applications systems using highly proactive Problem Management, diagnosis and resolution
- Identifies, diagnoses and resolves system problems, at the most complex levels, involving programming logic, interoperability between several technical components, and client interfaces.
- Researches, identifies, and refers complex technical problems related to platform management, database administration, network connectivity and desktop support to the appropriate ITS operating unit for resolution
- Advises user departments and other Information Technology Services support teams on system requirements and enhancements
- Oversees the preparation of project reports such as technical overviews, client recommendations, alternatives to business requirements, feasibility studies, project proposals, and requests for proposals for the purchase of new software and hardware
- Performs and delegates systems integration, maintenance, and related support tasks to staff
- Monitors and leads consultants in the analysis, design, implementation and integration of application business systems
- Leads in the evaluation of commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) software
- Oversees the configuration, implementation, and integration of commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) software
- Develops software and hardware specifications and standards
- Acts as team leader for projects as assigned, including complex and highly specialized applications
- Leads project and status meetings with clients, consultants or other external entities
- Ensures that clients have the necessary training and documents to properly utilize computer systems
- Leads the department's information security, disaster recovery, and safety programs
- Contributes to ensuring that the EEO policies and programs of Metro are carried out
Requirements For Employment
- Bachelor's degree - Computer Science, Business Information System Technology, Computer Engineering, or other related field
- 3 years' software engineer-level experience in designing, implementing and maintaining complex information systems in a Relational database, networked environment
Due to the competitiveness of the recruitment, consideration may be given to those candidates who demonstrate the following additional qualifications:
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Business Information System Technology, Computer Engineering, or other technically related field
- Experience with Mobile Development (iOS, Android, Windows)
- Experience with integration (HTML, XML, XLS, PL/SQL) and programming (ASP.NET, C#, Angular JS, JQUERY, REACT)
- Experience with Transit Applications
- Theories, principles, and practices related to information systems and supported business areas
- Project management techniques and tools
- Applicable local, state, and federal laws, rules, and regulations governing information systems for a public agency
- Data communications involved in LANs, WANs, and gateways
- Linux, Unix, iOS, Android and windows operating systems.
- Database structures, schemas, interfaces in an Oracle or SQL environment.
- Transit applications used for scheduling, maintenance, fleet management, video surveillance, asset management, safety management or related system(s) in a bus or rail environment.
- E-Signature concepts and technologies.
- Mathematics used in complex business applications
- Business process and system process modeling and problem solving techniques
- Change control process and other Information Technology best practices
- Complex business processes in area of responsibility as well as areas outside of immediate responsibility
- PL/SQL, HTML, XML, XLS and DOM (Document Object Model)
- Principals of supervision
- Guide and perform the development and implementation of complex information systems using software engineering techniques
- Resolve highly difficult problems regarding highly complex programming and systems logic
- Perform highly-complex systems implementation and integration tasks
- Perform complex programming in various languages such as: ASP.NET C#, Angular JS, JQUERY and REACT.
- Build applications and interfaces with SharePoint platform.
- Function as a technical lead, providing technical project management across multiple projects and concurrent tasks
- Develop and implement web-based computer applications including mobile applications
- Analyze and evaluate system changes to determine feasibility
- Analyze situations, identify problems, and recommend and implement solutions in a cost effective manner
- Clearly define system integration and interface requirements
- Build interfaces using Dell Boomi
- Identify and resolve conflicting project and/or client requirements
- Understand, interpret, and apply laws, business rules, regulations, policies, procedures, contracts, budgets, and labor/management agreements to support business processes
- Prepare reports, proposals, presentations and correspondence in a professional manner
- Exercise judgment and creativity in making decisions
- Interact professionally with various levels of employees and outside representatives
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Meet tight time constraints and frequent deadlines
- Operate a personal computer, computer terminal, and general office equipment
- Multi-task on multiple concurrent projects
- Identify and lead the implementation of new and creative solutions that are compatible with current and future technologies
- Leads, organizes, technically supervises and assumes primary responsibility for one or more project teams in performing system analysis, design and programming, trouble-shooting, modifications, maintenance, implementation and integration of one or more systems comprising large and /or highly-complex application areas and processes
- Read, write, speak, and understand English
Applicants who best meet job-related qualifications will be invited to participate in the examination process that may consist of any combination of written, performance, or oral appraisal to further evaluate job-related experience, knowledge, skills and abilities.
To apply, visit Metro's website at and complete an online Employment Application.
Computers are available to complete online Employment Applications at the following Metro location:
METRO Headquarters, Employment Office
One Gateway Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Telephone: or persons with hearing or speech impairments can use California Relay Service 711 to contact Metro.
All completed online Employment Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. (TS)
*Open to the public and all Metro employees
This job bulletin is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Employees may be required to perform other related job duties.