Posted on May 17, 2022 by Frederick Mutual Insurance Company
Commercial Lines/Personal Lines Underwriting Assistant
The Underwriting Assistant reports directly to the VP, Underwriting. Collaboration and interaction with other departments within the company is necessary to ensure best practices and issues are handled in a professional manner.
The Underwriting Assistant works with the Commercial and Personal Lines Underwriters in a variety of tasks to meet profit and growth targets.
Summary of Duties:
· Maintain thorough knowledge of FMIC products, underwriting guidelines, goals, and philosophies.
· Process endorsements and bill plan changes.
· Index incoming mail utilizing the ImageRight system.
· Printing and mailing documents including new policy declarations, endorsements, cancellations, renewals and bills.
· Manage individual workflow to be certain the Company's service goals are being met.
· Supports the underwriters by gathering underwriting information.
· Review property surveys and forward recommendations to the insured and producing agency to assist the underwriters with loss control.
· Maintain correspondence and/or diary suspense file.
· Order reports as needed including Inspections, APLUS loss reports, Betterview evaluations and MVRs.
· Demonstrate professional written and verbal communication skills.
· Demonstrate the ability to interact with fellow team members.
· Provide quotes, renew policies, and process new business per letter of authority.
· Request renewal questionnaires and copies of underlying policies not written with FMIC.
· Request updates for alarm certificates, home day care certificates and other renewal information.
· Prepare loss runs as requested.
· Attend insurance related classes to broaden knowledge of the insurance industry, per individual development plan.
· Other duties and projects as assigned.
· Detail oriented
· Data Entry
· Communication Proficiency
· Ethical Conduct
· Problem Solver
· Highly motivated
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or equivalent is required with minimum 2-4 years insurance related experience. College coursework or insurance related skills or designations desired. Willingness to participate in industry related education and training. Proficient computer skills to operate platforms within Microsoft Office applications for word processing, policy management, and spreadsheets. And understanding of PDF file management is preferred. Prior insurance company or agency experience is preferred, but not required.
This job operates in a clerical office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, during our core business hours. This position is strictly an in-office position. Position allows for remote work capability when necessary, subject to manager approval.
This position does not require travel.
*Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.