Recycling Operations Manager
Posted on May 9, 2022 by Cawleys
England, United Kingdom
Recycling Operations Manager
Cawleys (part of the F & R Cawley Group) was established 75 years ago and has since grown into the largest regional commercial waste management and recycling company in the Herts, Beds, Bucks & Northants area. The basis behind our growth and success is down to our strong commitment to a foundation of financial strength, operating excellence and professionalism. Cawleys is a proactive recycling and waste management company continually looking at new opportunities and investments to divert waste streams away from landfill towards more commercial and environmental solutions. These assets enable Cawleys to offer a full range of environmental waste collection and recycling services to over 5000 industrial and commercial customers.
Overall management of the Luton Materials Recycling Facility (MRF), including but not limited to :- Health & Safety, static machinery and mobile plant, control, recruitment and training of direct and agency staff, sale of all recyclate, cost control to budget and variance analysis, productivity to budget and site KPI's, RDF production to offtake and contract specification, daily weekly and monthly reporting, waste input analysis, waste out quality control, and to deliver and demonstrate our Company values.
• The MRF operation is under tight budgetary control, it is the Recycling Operations Managers responsibility to ensure all elements of this are controlled and if certain areas move outside the parameters set changes are made to reverse the situation or if these are outside of his or her control then full brief is given to the Operations Director.
• It is the responsibility for the Recycling Operations Manager to recruit, train, discipline and keep safe all of the people working within his or her area of responsibility. Ensuring at all times that staffing levels sit within the budgetary allowances set.
• All MRF & Yard Facilities operated by the company are controlled by strict licensing and permitting, it is the responsibility of the Recycling Operations Manager to operate these facilities in accordance with these license requirements and to ensure the qualification that must held in this case WAMITAB Level 4, is maintained via the periodic refresher courses run by the Environment Agency.
• It is the responsibility of the Recycling Operations Manager to report basic input and output figures as defined by the Operations Director for the MRF and yard on a weekly basis. This information is then consolidated into a report that is presented to Operations Director on a monthly basis - this should also include an update on recycling market trends and any anticipated movement in the price per ton paid for all commodities traded.
• It is the Recycling Operations Manager's responsibility to coordinate the collection of all waste out and commodity via a booking system in order to avoid congestion and waiting time on site, this applies to both internal and external hauliers.
• Various items of mobile plant and equipment are used within the MRF and the yard areas, it is the Recycling Operations Manager's responsibility to ensure the correct use of this equipment, the recording of pre-use inspections and defects in R2C, maintain all training records for the staff using this equipment and organise annual assessments and refresher training when applicable and work with the Operations Director in controlling maintenance of this equipment and the replacement of the same at the end of its useful working life.
Skills and Experience
• You will be able to demonstrate proven ability to run and maintain a profitable and successful MRF.
• You will be able to demonstrate your commitment to health and safety in all aspects of the plant, holding qualifications in either IOSH or NEEBOSH.
• Experience managing a high turnover low margin operation
• You will be qualified to WAMITAB Level 4.
• You will have experience of implementing lean production/six sigma processes
• Capability to lead a large multinational operational team and to work effectively with people at all levels of the business.
• You must have extensive experience in Waste Management and Recycling, or a similar materials processing/production industry such as Mining, Quarrying, Minerals Extraction, Aggregates at a senior level.
• Operational management experience ideally of collection and recycling.
• Business development and analysis experience.
• You will have had, or be willing to take responsibility for Waste Management & Recycling facilities such as MBT, HWRC, Landfill, MRF, RDF, SRF, IVC, Plasterboard Recycling, Transfer Station, Glass Recycling, Scrap Metal Recycling or Gasification
• Leadership at Management level
• Change & Business Management
• Financial awareness
• Negotiation and Presentations skills
• Target driven and positive
• Ability to work on your own and self-manage wisely to the benefit of the company whilst being a team player
• 'Can do' attitude
• Ability to think quickly, problem solve and make decisions
• Focus on commercial awareness
• Well-presented personal appearance
• Attention to detail
• Flexible and proactive attitude