Director - ESG Strategy
Posted on May 4, 2022 by Lewis Davey
Lewis Davey is delighted to recruiting a Director of Strategic Services for the JLL Sustainability Consultancy team. For more information please contact Lewis Davey in the first instance on or and/or apply here.
The Sustainability Consultancy team at JLL is the largest real estate sustainability consultancy in Europe, with over 20 years' experience in delivering sustainability advice to the real estate sector. We use our leading sustainability expertise to support, challenge and inspire our people and clients to create a prosperous economy, a flourishing society and a healthy environment.
If you're looking to step up your career, JLL is the perfect professional home. We're a Fortune 500 company. We work across 80 countries, in 280 different offices, with a team of over 77,000 individuals. We look after a property portfolio of over 4bn square feet on behalf of our clients. The rapidly growing requirement for sustainability means you will develop your career within a team with vast experience and significant growth ambitions, helping embed sustainability into some of the world's leading real estate businesses. Find out more about our sustainability ambitions here .
For more than 20 years, our sustainability consultancy has been helping clients develop ambitious sustainability action plans as well as supporting them to implement practical actions. Our services include:
- Sustainability strategy and implementation
- Net Zero Carbon and Science-Based Targets
- Climate risk assessment
- Energy and carbon management
- Sustainability data analysis and management
- Compliance and de-risking
- Social impact
- Reporting and communications
About the role
This role will be focused on service development, innovation and thought leadership, business development, team management and on developing leading sustainability strategies and implementation programmes specifically for real estate investors and listed property companies across the UK and Europe.
The opportunity to work with us will provide you with exposure to a number of high profile clients. By engaging with clients at a senior strategic level, you will help establish their approach to managing sustainability risks and realising opportunities and providing advice to help clients implement their sustainability strategy across their portfolio.
Note, although the role requires general awareness of technical sustainability issues, there is no necessity for technical property-level or energy management expertise to fulfil the role successfully.
Our expectation is that you are as passionate about sustainability as we are; that you are committed to always exceeding your clients' expectations and that you are able to demonstrate your excellent interpersonal skills, stakeholder engagement and communication, strategic advisory, and project / team management skills.
What this job involves
- Ownership of two active service lines - 'Strategy& Vision' and 'Strategic Implementation', keeping these at the cutting edge of strategic advice
- Taking multiple clients through our strategy development process, and supporting them through follow-up retained programmes of work as they embark on their implementation journeys
- Development and growth of a new service line focused on biodiversity-related advice to clients
- Overseeing the development of well-crafted action plans which weave in the wider JLL's property expertise, and supporting the consulting project team to bring the strategy to life through engagement with the client's internal teams, their property managers and contractors.
- Supporting our clients to define suitable portfolio targets and working with them to establish the business case for delivering on these
- Managing a team of strategy specialists
- Contributing to the management of the wider Sustainability Consultancy team, as part of the management team
- Senior project management and senior client account management
- Business development for NZC strategies and a wide range of Sustainability Consultancy services to existing and new clients
- Engagement across JLL to cross-sell consulting services
Sound like you? To apply you need to be/have:
- Passionate about working towards a sustainable future
- A good understand of the key sustainability issues for real estate including, but not limited to; investor "ESG", net zero carbon, science-based targets, climate risk, health & wellbeing, social value creation and strategic environmental performance improvement plans.
- Experience working with corporate clients, commercial property, property managers and an understanding of the landlord and tenant relationship is desirable
- Excellent ability to build relationships with clients and their internal teams
- A strong track record integrating sustainability into organisations' operations
- Experience working in a collaborative way with clients and other stakeholders to develop ambitious and robust sustainability programmes
- Awareness of the developments of the legislative landscape, and experience in helping clients respond to these
- Proven project management experience and excellent communication skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy in written and numeric work
- Team-oriented with proven ability to lead and foster good working relationships, and to promote team development and individual growth
- Ability to obtain buy-in and engagement from employees at all levels
- Experience liaising with, engaging and presenting to senior business leaders, one-to-one or in facilitated workshops
What you can expect from us
JLL values its employees and People are one of our core strategic pillars. When you join the JLL Sustainability Consulting team, you can expect to be supported by your colleagues and senior management. The team, along with the whole of JLL, are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion across our organisation and we are taking steps to improve in this area. There are also a number of networks (e.g. apprentice, gender, LGBT+, neurodiversity, race & ethnicity and working parents) where you can share thoughts and ideas and raise these directly with executive teams. We have both mental health and diversity first-aiders - trained colleagues who can provide impartial and anonymous support, and act as a safe point of contact to discuss any challenges you may be experiencing.
JLL is an Equal Opportunities Employer and encourages applications from all sections of the community. We are recognised by Stonewall as one of Britain's top 100 LGBT-inclusive employers , and one of the UK's Top 10 employers for Social Mobility by the Social Mobility Foundation. More on JLL's D&I commitment can be found online .
Our Total Rewards program reflects our commitment to helping you achieve your ambitions in career, recognition, wellbeing, mental health support, benefits and pay. We'll offer you a competitive salary and benefits package. Keep those ambitions in sight and imagine where JLL can take you...
This vacancy is being managed by Lewis Davey. For more information please contact Lewis Davey in the first instance on or and/or apply here.