Application Security Engineer
Posted on May 3, 2022 by Request Technology - Craig Johnson
*We are unable to sponsor for this permanent Full time role*
*Position is bonus eligible*
Prestigious Financial Institution is currently seeking an Application Security Engineer. Candidate works closely with other members of the Security Services, IT Development Teams and Quality Assurance teams to support application and software security initiatives, projects, and operations. Candidate will be integrating security tools into the development pipeline using Docker containers and Scripting, vulnerability management, and administration of automated security scanning tools to support the confidentiality, integrity and availability of enterprise applications.
- Develop scripts and write containers to integrate Security tools into the development pipeline
- Assist development teams with interpreting results from pipeline verification reports to facilitate vulnerability remediation
- Troubleshoot developer issues with running security scans in the pipeline
Application Security Testing
- Assist with application penetration testing
- Assist with retesting vulnerabilities to verify the development teams have remediated
- Review reports of the testing and conduct security risk assessment of the vulnerabilities
- Conduct code scans using automated tools and risk rate the vulnerabilities according to the organization risk profile and mitigating controls.
- Conduct IT/Security code review meetings to eliminate false positives and encourage collaboration between Security and IT development teams
- Assist with application security vulnerability management including implementation of new vulnerability management tools
Documentation and Process Improvement
- Assist in the development of metrics documentation to track the burndown rate of vulnerability remediation
- Assist in the development of security engineering documentation:
- Explore opportunities for updates to Security Engineering policies and standards
- Assist with the development and periodic review of Security controls, policies, and procedures in close coordination with Security managers
- Participate in the improvement of security engineering processes
- Help gather evidence of security testing processes for audits
- Work with development team and Q/A to create development life cycle documentation, provides integrated systems planning which will enhance current systems and support corporate, business and system goals.
- Identify automation opportunities and help with department automation efforts
- Suggest security controls and practices to be integrated in the SDLC phases and participation in Security Engineering SDLC activities and toll gates
- Create clear and concise reports of security analysis for SDLC artifacts and security reviews during change management process
- Collaborate and brainstorm with the Security Engineering team on new application and application infrastructure technology components
- Execute self-testing of Security controls and processes
- Coordinate execution of continuous testing roadmap exercises
- Provide input into training on security best practices for application developers, architects and testers and coordinate the execution of training plans
- Participate in the change management process, assist with evaluating the security impact of changes, and suggest controls and make conclusions to approve or reject the change requests
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines and software development/coding: Docker, Jenkins, GitHub, SVN, Terraform, and others.
- Highly motivated individual that assumes ownership of their projects
- Ability to act as a liaison between security and the development, IT, and QA teams.
- Strong desire and capacity to learn and support new technical applications
- Exceptional verbal communication skills that include the ability to articulate ideas clearly and concisely
- Ability to write clear and concise documentation
- Knowledge of security principles - Training and/or education preferred
- Experience administering and interpreting results from security scanning tools
- Experience working in the financial industry
- Familiarity with application frameworks and their built-in security services and API's (ie, Sun J2EE, MS .NET, OMG CORBA, Spring, etc.)
- Knowledge of security architecture design and principles including confidentiality, integrity and availability.
- Knowledge of automated code scanning tools (ie,) and development pipeline tools (ie,)
- Understanding of security concepts and practices, including those for authentication, authorization, access control and auditing as well as best practices (eg OWASP).
- Familiarity with application authentication and authorization systems (ie, CA SiteMinder, RSA SecurID/ACE, Active Directory, and LDAP)
- General knowledge of cryptography (symmetric and asymmetric encryption, digital signatures, message digests, certificates, PKI, SSL/TLS, etc.)
- Fundamental understanding of network and data communications technologies
- Knowledge of (AWS, Azure, GCP) Cloud security concepts, best practices, and environments
- Knowledge of Secure DevOps concepts
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelors degree in Cybersecurity, Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and/or relevant experience
- Experience writing scripts and working with containers in a CI/CD pipeline
- At least 3+ year experience in Security-related roles or equivalent training/knowledge of security best practices and OWASP and NVD
- Experience with SDLC and working with business users, database analysts, system architects, etc., to identify and prioritize requirements
- Exposure to security architecture design through application development or knowledge of security concepts/best practices
- Previous work in development, architecture or quality assurance testing may be applicable to the position requirements.
Certificates or Licenses:
- Professional network and/or security certifications a plus (ie, GIAC, CISSP, CISA, CISM, CRISC)
- Cloud security automation certifications a plus (ie GCSA)
- Penetration testing certifications a plus (ie OSCP, GWAPT)