SQL Database Administrator
Posted on Apr 25, 2022 by Zonal
The Zonal group is one of the UK's largest technology providers to the hospitality industry.
Our products are used by over 11,000 pubs, restaurants, and hotels. Customers include national brands like Pizza Express, JD Wetherspoons and All Bar One.
If you've booked a table or hotel room, ordered, and paid for food and drinks, received loyalty offers, or downloaded your favourite hang out's app, you will likely have used a Zonal product.
We are a family business with Scottish roots. We operate from our modern head office in Edinburgh, our Innovation Centre in Abingdon and hotel management solutions base in Cardiff.
- We offer flexible & a hybrid/remote working model
- Generous holiday allocation + Ability to buy and sell holidays
- Employer contributed pension scheme
- We reward our staff well with competitive salaries
- We offer great benefits
- Well-structured career development plans.
What you'll do
The Database Administrator sits within the Managed Services team and is part of the wider Zonal Technical Services business unit. Our suite of SaaS, distributed systems and integrations help our customers run their business-critical services, providing their customers with industry leading hospitality technology products.
You'll play a key role in our Platform Engineering team that aims to drive operational excellence and customer focus into the operations of our SaaS and hosted systems.
As a Database Administrator, you'll bring your expertise in design, delivery and administration of our industry leading SaaS and distributed solutions.
You will work closely with engineering teams in Development and Platform Delivery (Networks, DBA, and Infrastructure) to deliver and continually improve our customer-facing services.
The makeup of our systems is changing rapidly and you'll being playing your part in helping us drive this forward. We're moving to a modern DevOps landscape with technologies like containerisation, IaC and microservices. Initially we are working with our own virtualised data centre infrastructure, so you'll be key in moving us to a hybrid public-cloud model.
You and your team will:
- Build strong, collaborative relationships acting as the glue between environments, delivery, and R&D engineering teams
- Design, deliver and support production and pre-production environments, ensuring robustness and consistency
- Develop and continually improve:
- Monitoring and tuning
- Service availability, performance, and scaling
- Operational, maintenance, security, and audit procedures
- Disaster recovery and data protection frameworks
- Bring expertise and a streetwise perspective to problem solving and reduction of complexity
Who you are
We'd like our Database Administrator to come from a background in highly available database driven environments, having spent at least some of your career as a member of a fast-paced systems engineering, deployment, or platform delivery team. Ideally this will have been in virtualised datacentre or public cloud web infrastructures.
- A self-starter with a passion for technology and problem solving, with excellent analytical skills who thrives in a fast-paced autonomous environment
- Experienced in running Microsoft SQL Server based database systems, Mongo / AtlasDB skills desirable
- Solid skills in monitoring and tuning highly available transactional platforms, skills in SentryONE / SolarWinds SQL Sentry a bonus
- Comfortable with administration streams including patching, automation, scripting, and tooling in PowerShell for complex provisioning and deployment scenarios
- Quick to spot opportunities and new capabilities, with an eye for improving existing processes
- A champion of automate everything, document everything
- Able to see the bigger picture and delivering incrementally towards that
- A team player, organised, with a safe pair of hands
- Comfortable interacting with mixed audiences of Support, Product Delivery and Platform Engineering
- A champion of robustness, consistency, and security
- Someone with a delivery-oriented attitude, with attention to detail
- Minimum 3+ years in administration of production database services
What we value
Passion, Teamwork, Innovation, Professionalism, Accountability and Customer Obsession are the values we believe make us the company we are. We are looking for someone who understands great culture and will help us shape it as it evolves.
We are going on an exciting journey, and we need more like-minded travellers to help us get there!
If this sounds like you then we would love to hear from you!