Product Development Manager (Remote)
Posted on Apr 21, 2022 by Genus PLC
Role Title: Product Development Manager
Reports To: Sr. Director of Data Informatics
Position Location: Remote
Genus is a global FTSE 250 company, headquartered in the UK and listed on the London Stock Exchange. With revenues of around £500 million, Genus has a presence in over 70 countries, with a global workforce of approximately 3,200 employees. One of the best performing stocks on the London Stock Exchange, the Company's market capitalization is around £2 billion. It is a worldwide leader in porcine and bovine animal genetics, partnering with farmers to transform how we nourish the world - a mission that is important to a sustainable future.
Each generation of animals is selected based on a number of desired traits, including greater health, fertility, productivity or feed efficiency. With superior animal genetics, Genus helps its customers in the dairy, beef and porcine supply chains around the world produce offspring with improved robustness, superior production efficiency and greater sustainability. Genus's vision of "pioneering animal genetic improvement to help nourish the world" is supported by its core values to be customer-centric, results-driven, pioneering, people-focused and responsible.
The Genus Scientific Data (GSD) R&D team provides stakeholders across Genus with data pipeline and ingestion capabilities, data storage and modeling expertise, and data access for projects critical to the growth of the business and overarching delivery of prototype solutions to internal and external customers. The GSD Product Manager will drive continuous prioritization of the GSD project backlog based on ROI or organizational impact. They will work with internal and external stakeholders to ensure we are properly capturing overarching portfolio themes Business epics, features, and user stories. They will work hand in hand with the GSD Development and Data Science teams to decompose features for release and sprint planning exercises. Their ability to identify and prioritize the highest impact functionality, that translates to incremental platform development, will be essential to Genus as data and analytics are one of our core strategic pillars for the future.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Product Manager is fully accountable for developing and maintaining a prioritized backlog from which development teams can pull from for their releases and execution. They are directly accountable for the following:
- Continuous prioritization of the GSD project backlog based on ROI or organizational impact.
- Work closely with the Business Analyst, Product Development leaders across Genus, and Finance to establish key metrics for each project; including, but not limited to ROI, 3-year IRR, Development cost, and Total Cost of Ownership.
- Maintain a visible, well-defined, and groomed backlog (themes, epics, user stories, and features) following Agile software development frameworks.
- Establish and lead backlog grooming sessions with the development and dependent teams to decompose and organize the backlog into well understood features.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to clearly understand their unique challenges, then translating that to the GSD backlog.
- Working hand in hand with the Senior Manager, Data Science and Analytics and the Senior Manager, Data Software Engineering to conduct release and sprint planning.
- Working with IT to understand the appropriate software in which our backlog should be expressed, keeping that backlog current, and ensuring (with the Manager of Development and Architecture) connectivity to development tools is in place. The goal is to have a seamless integration across the software tools governing GSD projects.
- Work closely with the R&D Portfolio Manager to ensure accurate and timely information is available for regular report outs to R&D and Genus Leadership.
- Evaluate and conduct reviews with 3rd parties where their tools, software, or services may help accelerate our development efforts.
- Work closely with the business leaders across Genus to understand their needs and their customers' needs.
- 5+ years of experience in Product Management of software development using Agile methodologies
- 3+ years of experience working as a Product Manager in data and analytics
- 4-year degree in STEM or other appropriately related subject area
- Experience with Product Management software tools, such as Rally, JIRA, Azure Dev Ops, or Aha!
- Excellent ability to decompose complex problems into consumable information, either for development backlog or for helping stakeholders across the business understand the challenge and solution
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills is a must
- Experience with cloud native development and deployment
- Working knowledge of technical approaches, tools, or software related to modern data, analytics, or compute functionality
- Nice to have: Experience in Agriculture, Biotechnology, or another related Scientific fields
Equal Employment Opportunities:
Genus is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. Genus prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Genus conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.