Senior Environmental Advisor
Posted on Apr 13, 2022 by VolkerRail
Manchester, Lancashire, United Kingdom
VolkerRail is an established and experienced railway infrastructure contractor. We have a successful track record of delivering projects across the whole of the UK; working with Network Rail, London Underground as well as light rail and tram operating companies to enhance the national infrastructure.
As one of the UKs oldest railway contractors, with a history dating back over 80 years, we are passionate about the preservation and development of the railways. Our years of experience and continued company growth have earned us a reputation within the industry for high performance and innovation, and as a company focussed on timely and efficient delivery.
An opportunity has arisen for an experience Senior Environmental Advisor to join the VolkerRail HSQES team. The role will join VolkerRail Specialist Businesses Signalling Division and will be based in Manchester, Doncaster or Birmingham, but will involve frequent travel to project sites across the UK.
Reporting to the VRSB Environment Manager, the role's key duties will include:
- Determining the environmental and social deliverables of rail infrastructure projects, and ensuring their integration into pre-contract, design, planning, construction, commissioning and hand back arrangements.
- Developing and maintaining environmental and social management plans, and other supporting documentation, and ensuring their effective briefing and cascade of controls through project documentation.
- Liaison and communication with internal and external stakeholders (particularly clients, regulatory authorities, subcontractors, and members of the public) to minimise risks and maximise opportunities for environmental and social performance.
- Responsible for ensuring that project and delivery teams comply with both VolkerRail's internal management systems, legislation and client requirements, including the collection, analysis and reporting of data to measure performance against objectives and targets.
- Leading HSQES inspections, audits and other assurance activities, identifying trends and recommending preventative measures to address non-conformances and opportunities for improvement.
- Acting as a Subject Matter Expert, providing specialist environmental support to project delivery teams, the wider VolkerRail business, VolkerWessels UK working groups and client or other sector level forums - driving the business and sector to continuously improve.
- Facilitating opportunities to add social value during project delivery through schools, charity and community engagement, and supporting the collection, input and reporting of social value data into both internal and external systems.
- Mentoring HSQES team members to further the attainment and upgrade of professional membership with IEMA.
You will be self-motivated with a pro-active approach and have experience of working under pressure and meeting tight deadlines. Integrity, problem solving, communication and good interpersonal skills are a key requirement for this role.
The candidate must have an environment or science-related degree or equivalent. They must either hold, or be working towards, Chartered Environmentalist and Full membership of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA).
The candidate shall ideally have the following experience/skill set:
- Previous experience in a similar role on major construction projects is a requirement, ideally within the rail sector.
- Development, implementation and assurance of project specific environmental and social value plans, with a particular focus on noise and vibration, biodiversity, carbon, waste and pollution prevention.
- Experience of determining the need for, application of and compliance with environmental consents is essential; including liaising with regulatory authorities and clients.
- Working knowledge of rail infrastructure maintainer environmental and social contract requirements, standards and guidance would be advantageous, in addition to detailed knowledge of UK environmental legislation.
- Lead ISO 14001 auditor, with practical experience of its effective implementation.
- Hold a Certificate of Competence in Environmental Noise Measurement.
- Experienced in defining, developing, implementing and assuring environmental improvement plans in response to changes in compliance obligations or trends in performance data.
- Proficient in MS office applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Excellent communication and organisational skills to work collaboratively within multidisciplinary project teams and hold autonomy to advise on compliance with client standards and legislation.
VolkerRail Group offers a competitive salary and attractive benefits that includes pension, industry leading training and development to support you throughout your career, professional membership subscription, employee assistance programme, and other benefits commensurate to your skills and experience.
Flexible benefits include one paid volunteering day a year, cycle to work and employee retail discount schemes.
Committed to equality of opportunity and diversity.