Systems Administration Supervisor
Posted on Dec 27, 2021 by West Virginia Network for Educational Telecomputing (WVNET)
WVNET is seeking a new Systems Administration Supervisor to provide direction on the day-to-day planning and organization of system's administration staff. This position functions in a high-level, in-depth technical capacity and serves as the primary administrator of WVNET's infrastructure components supporting both internal staff and external customers. The Systems Administration Supervisor is an on-call position that will require some work to be performed after standard business hours.
The successful candidate will display strong interpersonal, written communication and customer service skills, be able to work with others and demonstrate the ability to work on multiple projects while remaining both focused and organized.
West Virginia Network for Educational Telecomputing (WVNET) connects K-12 schools, higher educational institutions, libraries, state and county government, and various not-for-profits to the Internet and the rest of the world through our state-of-the-art network and telecommunications expertise. Our team of dedicated IT professionals provide guidance and training to educators and staff in higher education and K-12 schools. Our research and development of software, tools, and systems address problems and tackle challenges that are unique to West Virginia's public institutions and not-for-profits.
Work Location: Morgantown, WV, 26505 (Required)
Classification: Salary, Non-Classified, Full-Time Benefits, FLSA Exempt
Salary: Annual salary range is $65,000 - $75,000 and commensurate with experience. Additionally, WVNET offers an excellent state government benefits package, including comprehensive health insurance coverage, retirement investing, and life insurance plans as well as generous amounts of vacation, sick, and holiday leave.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or equivalent, or closely related field.
- 4-7+ years Windows Server administration, VMware Administration, or Linux Administration experience
- 2-4+ years Puppet experience
- 2 years of experience as a lead administrator of systems, database, networking, or application development.
*DETAILS OF RELEVANT EXPERIENCE MUST BE SHOWN IN THE WORK EXPERIENCE SECTION OF YOUR RESUME*
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as backup for the Systems and Operations Manager.
- Lead the Systems Administration team on current projects and plan for future projects and upgrades in consultation with the Systems and Operations Manager. Facilitate collaboration between team members, and with other WVNET teams. Delegate and assign tasks to the systems administration team as appropriate to successfully accomplish project and group goals. Mentor new team members.
- Reviews current workloads, OZ ticket problem management, and user consulting logs. Establishes reporting cycles and methods for Systems operations, and communications, and provide management with reports, as appropriate.
- Provides technical planning and direction on software and hardware installations at WVNET; the day-to-day operation of all WVNET systems; and the operations of all data communications from WVNET to any remote site or network.
- Responsible for design, configuration, installation, testing, debugging, documentation, and administration of: Server Operating systems including Windows and Linux, Storage Area Network Systems, Data Backup Systems, Email Systems, Server Security Monitoring Devices, Server Virtualization Systems including VMware and Oracle VM Server, Oracle Cloud environment, Network Management Applications, and associated software. Maintains comprehensive records of systems and software changes.
- Monitor and troubleshoot problems with WVNET systems, applications, and operating system issues encountered by WVNET staff. Assists additional WVNET groups with application configuration and troubleshooting, including but not limited to, applications related to Banner and Web Development.
- Assists Data Center Management Team with troubleshooting any issues, meeting with vendors/clients, and advances the continued development of WVNET's data center.
- Serves as a point of contact with vendors regarding hardware and software problems.
- Conducts training with System staff members on technical skills, WVNET systems configuration, troubleshooting, etc. Assists in the development and implements career development plans with each staff member.
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities (KSAs)
- Detailed knowledge of many different computing systems to meet the integration requirements of a large data center in a wide area networking environment.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP and other networking architectures and Client Server technologies.
- Knowledge of various computer languages.
- Strong experience with Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.
- Solid experience working with Puppet for server management.
- Experience with managing Servers used for hosting Banner and their related Oracle databases
- Ability to work both independently and in a group.
- Demonstrated team building and leadership ability with a highly technical staff
- Strong customer service, communication, planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to make presentations and give demonstrations.
- Self-motivated with the ability and willingness to maintain a broad knowledge of state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and systems in a rapidly changing field.
- Ability to follow complex written and oral instructions and technical manuals.
- Documentation capabilities to write end user and technical documentation and help files.
- Leadership and supervisory skills.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/Veterans/Disabled
West Virginia Network for Educational Telecomputing (WVNET) is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination regarding a person's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. WVNET provides a collegial, respectful, and inclusive environment that values the diversity, creativity, and contributions of its staff.