Technical Architect - Micro Services/API/Application Solutions
Posted on Dec 27, 2021 by Mercator IT Solutions
Mercator IT Solutions is looking for a Technical Architect to be part of its growing consultancy arm.
Mercator has enjoyed continued growth over the past year and is now looking to increase its capability in the digital transformation space in both the Private and Public sectors.
Mercator IT Solutions is part of the Mercator Group with offices in the UK, France, Singapore and North America.
Mercator prides itself on empowering its people to provide real value to clients by delivering sustainable software solutions with long lasting benefits. We place personal growth and development at the heart of our business and we give our people the autonomy to own and shape their role.
Mercator is seeking a dynamic, forward-thinking?Technical Architect with excellent communication skills who can help Mercator in its continued transformation. You will be open-minded, happy to work on your own or as part of a team and want to learn new technologies and promote best practice.
You will be responsible for helping to define outstanding digital solutions, understanding the needs of the business and millions of our customers, and provide technical expertise and leadership across multiple agile teams. You must have a strong track record of building and running high volume, reliable and flexible services that are relentlessly user-focused and continually improved through iterative development.
The role will require you to be hands-on and work closely with Product Managers and scrum teams. The role requires an equal balance of technical expertise, gained through current, hands-on involvement in developing real-world systems, and excellent interpersonal skills. You should ideally have experience in development of transformational digital services on brownfield estates and/or rapid development and scaling of very high-volume greenfield services.
Digital, Web and Software development background is a must, particularly around high-volume services. Experience in agile should be second nature (TDD, SCRUM, Kanban etc.) with evolutionary architecture and prototyping, various databases and configuration/deployment/testing solutions.
Technical Architects carry out a wide range of activities, from actively writing code and breaking down complex problems and identifying steps towards solutions, through to coaching individuals and engaging with non-technical people at all levels of seniority.
Key responsibilities include:
- Setting the direction of travel during discovery phases and providing solution oversight during subsequent delivery phases
- Providing support and guidance to Architects and the Digital Delivery Centre teams throughout the project life cycle
- Liaising with various internal stakeholders and subject matter experts, such as CTO and Security and Digital architects within other digital centres
- Recognising emerging risks and issues during solution definition and identify mitigating actions
- Developing strong working relationships in high pressure agile environments
- Providing hands-on technical leadership in the development, operation and ongoing improvement of complex, transformational digital services ensuring that projects align to the overall digital blueprint
- Working with product managers to understand user needs for new and existing services
- Acting as the technical authority in prospective, information gathering and scene setting meetings, evaluating technical proposals and making implementation recommendations to senior stakeholders
- Working with delivery teams and partners to break technical requirements down into appropriate pieces and to identify key API requirements for integration with internal and external systems
- Leading the rapid development of user-driven prototypes to identify technical options and inform architectural approaches, working with colleagues and supplier team members to write tests, code and documentation for new and existing systems
- Ensuring that new and updated platforms, products and transactions are thoroughly tested for performance, are able to handle specified load, and can be maintained over the long-term
- Ensuring a robust, scalable, open and secure end-to-end solution, with appropriate overall system design and integration points/APIs, to deliver a high quality user experience
Knowledge and Skills
- Experience leading and managing development and architecture teams
- Significant experience in a Digital Solution Architect/Lead Developer/Development Manager or similar role with leadership and management
- Practical experience of designing end-to-end application solutions within a digital environment, including multichannel, mobile and social media
- Demonstrable experience of agile practices and techniques
- Strong experience in designing and building digital and web solutions, preferably on large transactional projects
- A solid background in software development and solutions architecture within Open Source technologies and languages such as Scala, Java, RESTful APIs JSON, NoSQL, MongoDB, Play, Ruby Jenkins, Selenium, Jira, Confluence, Linux, HTML5, Cucumber, Django, Spring, Python, Chef and Puppet technologies.
- Knowledge of relational and non-relational databases and experience of handling very large data sets.
- Strong business analysis skills with a proven track record of working with a diverse range of business stakeholders
- Strong software development and architecture background within open source technologies and languages
- Understand a wide range of integration methods and techniques
- Knowledge of a broad set of technologies across areas such as system platforms, web, databases, software development languages and tools
- Experience of developing and using web based APIs and Micro services
- Experience with open source solutions, using and deploying on cloud based platforms
- Understanding of web security best practice and security application design
- Experience in developing digital services on brownfield estates with Legacy systems.
- Innovative thinker - ability to look at the big picture'