Posted on Dec 16, 2021 by Watts Sustainability
London, United Kingdom
£35k - £40k Annual
Job description - Sustainability Consultant
Posted: 08th December 2021
Deadline for applications: 30th December 2021
Salary range: £35-40K dependent on experience
Calling ambitious and passionate sustainability specialists!
Are you interested in working with some interesting, innovative and influential organisations on big sustainability challenges? Are you looking for an opportunity to use your skills and power of influence to drive positive change?
Watts Sustainability is recruiting a sustainability consultant with 2-3+ years of experience (in relevant environmental/sustainability work) to work on a number of varied projects.
We build meaningful sustainability programmes for our clients - helping them have a positive impact. We provide a range of services from sustainability strategy, carbon management, training, management systems, energy assessments and communications - building on our years of experience
There is an opportunity to be involved with a range of work with a wide range of clients including universities, research institutions, media companies, design companies, transportation.
We are small (yet influential)- the applicant should be aware that they would be working not within a large team but as an early hire and that they would have a significant influence on the growth of the consultancy.
Our clients include LEGO Group, Ocean Outdoor, Institute of Cancer Research, South Western Railway amongst many others. We work with client teams in marketing, compliance, procurement, and communications as well as their sustainability functions, usually at senior level.
Key tasks to include:
- The design and delivery of environment and sustainability related training programmes particularly as part of organisational behaviour change programmes
- Carbon management and reporting - for example corporate carbon footprinting/carbon accounting, net zero strategies, reporting and data systems
- Sustainability/ESG strategy projects and their project management
- Energy and carbon compliance - projects related to ESOS and SECR
- Sustainability in materials (e.g. for construction, interior design projects)
- Sustainability in procurement processes and supply chain - including mapping and calculating Scope 3 emissions
- Working with sustainability frameworks (e.g. B-Corp, CDP, TCFD, ISO14001, SBTi, UN SDGs)
- Environmental Management Systems including ISO14001:2015 implementation
- Carrying out research and writing online blog content
- Assisting with business development - for example proposal writing
- Helping with social media profile and strategy
- You have a deep enthusiasm for sustainability - and you want to help organisations play their part in addressing the climate and biodiversity crises
- You have strong and confident communication skills and can articulate sustainability concepts and ideas to non-technical audiences with enthusiasm and creativity
- You will have a post-graduate environmental/sustainability qualification
- At least 2-3 years+ experience relevant to at least one of the areas mentioned in this job description
- You are happy working independently (with support when needed) and be able to use your initiative to solve problems, but also to ask for help when needed
- You are willing to work sometimes at the edge of your comfort zone in order to learn, grow and develop - for example willingness to learn new competencies to help us grow the business
- Ability to provide quality work quickly and to deadlines with attention to detail
- At least Associate or Graduate membership of IEMA
- Willing to travel within the UK (including overnight stays) and potentially overseas
- UK based and with legal entitlement to work here
- Fluent in English and ability to write technical reports and training in English with good grammar
- Experience using Microsoft Office tools
This role would be based working some of the time in shared workspace in central London and some of the time from home (there is some flexibility with this).
We are looking for somebody to start as soon as possible.
Watts Sustainability is a member of the Diverse Sustainability Initiative and we are committed to increasing diversity within our organisation, and the environmental sector as a whole. Your abilities and passion for sustainability are the criteria we use for recruitment.
Permanent contract (6-month probation period)
37.5 hrs per week
£35,0000-£40,000 annual gross salary depending on experience
Paid professional membership
24 days holiday plus bank holiday
CPD training and development programme
Please respond with CV and letter explaining why you are interested and what you could bring to the role to