Standards & Assurance Director
Posted on Nov 23, 2021 by ResponsibleSteel (The GreenJobs Network of Websites)
PLEASE MENTION THE GREENJOBS NETWORK OF WEBSITES WHEN APPLYING TO THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
We are hiring
At ResponsibleSteel, we believe in our mission to maximise steel's contribution to a sustainable society. This can be done by achieving net zero carbon emissions for the steel sector as well as enhancing the responsible sourcing, production, use and recycling of steel.
Standards & Assurance Director
Location: Home office, preference for CET aligned time zones - where the majority of the current team operates - but open to candidates globally.
Reports to: CEO
Direct reports: Policy & Assurance Manager (0.5 FTE)
Hours per week (average): full time
Overtime status: Exempt
We are a not-for-profit multi-stakeholder organisation (currently waiting for charity status confirmation) founded to bring together business, civil society and downstream users of steel, to provide a global standard and certification initiative for steel. We have built a consensus on what sustainability looks like for steel - including the impacts of mining, steel production, the scrap metal supply chain, greenhouse gas emissions, water use, workers' rights, communities and biodiversity. Our Members include steel makers, mining companies, buyers of steel from automotive and construction as well as civil society organisations focused on labour rights, biodiversity, climate change and many other important issues. We currently have over 100 members and near 12% of global steel production in membership.
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Standards & Assurance Director to join our small but growing team. The first ResponsibleSteel Site Certifications were awarded in Summer 2021 and since then we have been fine tuning our assurance processes. We also hope to launch "Steel Certification" in Q2 2022. We are now looking to further reinforce and operationally implement our assurance programme and to start the first revision process of our Standard for "Site Certification". These will be the main responsibilities of the Standards and Assurance Director. This position reports directly to the CEO of ResponsibleSteel and will work closely with the Standards, Assurance and Claims Committee of our Board as well as with all Members applying for certification.
ResponsibleSteel is a small organisation and the successful applicant will be expected to contribute across the organisation and not just in their core area of expertise.
The Standards and Assurance Director is responsible for ensuring that ResponsibleSteel continues to deliver on the ResponsibleSteel Standards and meets the high expectations of its members and external stakeholders. This includes rolling out the ResponsibleSteel Assurance Programme and leading on the periodic review of the Standards. The main duties of the Director will be:
• Own and enhance the Assurance Manual
• Liaise with third-party Certification Bodies and auditors and manage the approval process
• Develop and roll-out a fit for purpose auditor training and calibration scheme
• Gather learnings and insights from third-party audits, for example through witnessing, to further strengthen the Assurance Programme
• Prepare and deliver the outsourcing of programme oversight functions to a specialised body
• Work with the independent Assurance Panel to facilitate high-quality audit report reviews
• Function as the Secretariat for the Standards, Assurance and Claims Committee of our Board
• Programme administration/co-ordination, including drafting procedures and maintaining accurate, relevant and up-to-date records and documentation
• Further develop the recognition of upstream input material programmes to verify environmental, social and governance performance in supply chains
• Support the ISEAL M3 Partnership project
• Lead the development and management of the ResponsibleSteel Standards, including the periodic review and revision process with the support of the Policy and Impacts Director
• Work in close collaboration with the Standards, Assurance and Claims Committee including developing Terms of Reference for a new working group to support the further development of the ResponsibleSteel Standards
• Develop guidance and interpretations on the ResponsibleSteel Standards to enhance understanding and application
• Monitor stakeholder expectations and developments in the standards world to inform future Standards revision processes
• Develop and implement downstream Chain of Custody requirements for the roll out of the ResponsibleSteel Standard across the entire supply chain
• Support a project to develop an environmental, social and governance standard for the scrap sector
Further responsibilities will include:
• Ensure achieving ISEAL Membership status and maintaining compliance with ISEAL requirements
• Support the Policy and Impacts Director on capturing key metrics from the assurance process to monitor and communicate on ResponsibleSteel's achievement of its mission
• Engage with stakeholders as needed and required to strengthen our membership and profile
• Represent ResponsibleSteel at events in the standards and assurance space
Qualifications, Experience & Skills
• Bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as Metallurgy, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Sustainability, Master's Degree preferred
• Auditor training according to ISO management system standards (e.g. 9001, 14001, 45001, 50001), SA8000, ASI, FSC or other relevant standards is desirable
Overall, 10+ years of professional work experience in the following areas:
• Experience and track record working for auditing or certification scheme or certification / accreditation body
• Experience with heavy industry, corporate social responsibility, sustainable supply chains, environmental or social management, responsible mining or another relevant field
• Demonstrates excellent organizational and managerial skills
• Effective in managing timelines and project budgets
• Capacity to manage multiple projects simultaneously and successfully
• Energetic and personable; takes initiative and thinks creatively
• Proficiency with MS Office and general business tools for cloud-based collaboration.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, with the ability to convey technical information to a range of stakeholders
• High level of inter-personal skills, in particular cross-cultural communication
• Additional language competencies are desirable
• Enjoy collaborating with others and embrace feedback
• Passion for quality and keen attention to detail
• Can prioritise activities to maximise benefit and impact
• Thrive working independently with remote management in a decentralised team
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Please submit your cover letter and resume for this role to recuirtment(at)responsiblesteel.org specifying Standards and Assurance Director in the email subject line. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
Please note that you must have authorisation to work in your designated home country (country of employment)
Benefits and compensation vary per region and are competitive with local prevailing packages. They will take into account experience, location, and benefits required by law in the candidate's location, such as pension and leave allowances).
Regardless of location, team members get equipment stipends to ensure they are set up wherever they may be working from, generous leave policies and paid parental leave.
ResponsibleSteel is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, colour, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected bylaw in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
TO APPLY PLEASE CLICK THE "APPLY NOW" BUTTON AND YOU WILL BE REDIRECTED TO BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
£100k - £100k Annual
£600 - £600 Daily
£475 - £475 Daily
£575 - £575 Daily