CERTIFICATION SPECIALIST I
Posted on Nov 22, 2021 by Humanics, LLC
We seek a Certification Specialist I for our client, Lake Metropolitan Housing Authority. Lake Metropolitan Housing Authority (Lake MHA) administers housing assistance for approximately 1,800 families throughout Lake County. This consists of three federal housing programs, the Housing Choice Voucher (formerly known as Section 8), Multi-Family, and Public Housing programs. These programs offer low and moderate income households the opportunity to rent affordable, decent, and safe housing. More importantly, Lake MHA provides these households a stable living environment in order for them to work towards economic self-sufficiency.
Reporting to the Programs Supervisor, the Certification Specialist I supports 1-2 of the following programs:
Housing Choice Voucher (HCV), Public Housing (PH), and Multi-Family (MF), by processing annual and interim re-examinations for current participants. Meets with participants by appointment to assess eligibility, obtains required documentation for participant file, and determines participant's continued eligibility or ineligibility.
This role also:
- audits files of current participants and new admissions for completeness and consistency;
- maintains records and generates reports related to the programs;
- assists with the investigation of tenant or landlord program abuse;
- identifies overpayments and initiates repayment agreements; and
- performs leasing activities for PH/MF residents, including initial lease-up and lease enforcement.
- High school diploma or GED. Two (2) years general office experience in a fast-paced environment. One (1) year job related experience managing a high case load in government or non-profit preferred. Will consider an equivalent combination of education and experience to meet the required knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies of the position.
- Housing Choice Voucher/Public Housing/Multi-Family Specialist certifications required, as applicable. If not certified, ability to become certified within six months of hire.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and be insurable under the agency's vehicle insurance plan.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and apply laws, rules or regulations to specific situations. Prior experience with HUD preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise a high degree of discretion dealing with confidential and sensitive matters.
- Demonstrated ability to work with the public, participants, coworkers and officials effectively in a professional and courteous manner.
- Excellent organizational and recordkeeping skills plus attention to detail with a strong sense of urgency.
- Strong math skills including calculating fractions and percentages.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to interview participants, listen effectively, and prepare written correspondence and required program reports.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and typical office equipment. Demonstrated ability to learn agency software.
- Legally compliant, confidential and ethical conduct, while living the values of teamwork and maintaining a client-centered focus.
In addition to competitive salaries, Lake MHA offers an excellent benefits package including: medical, dental and vision coverage; PTO and paid holidays; compressed work week; life insurance and short term disability insurance; tuition reimbursement; Ohio Public Employee Retirement and deferred compensation. Please note that Lake MHA does not participate in Social Security.
Equal Opportunity Employer