Programme/ Policy Manager Transport and Smart Cities
Posted on Nov 18, 2021 by techUK
City, London, United Kingdom
£32k - £42k Annual
Programme/Policy Manager Transport and Smart Cities
In this exciting role, with responsibility for our transport and smart cities policy as part of our Smart Infrastructure and Systems Programme, you will get exposure to leading companies who are really changing the world and will be working on some of the pressing issues around net zero, electric vehicles, autonomous driving as well as emerging technologies.
techUK is the trade association which brings together people, companies, and organisations to realise the positive outcomes of what digital technology can achieve. With over 800 members (the majority of which are SMEs) across the UK, techUK creates a network for innovation and collaboration across business, government, and stakeholders to provide a better future for people, society, the economy, and the planet. By providing expertise and insight, we support our members, partners, and stakeholders as they prepare the UK for what comes next in a constantly changing world.
Overview of the Transport and Smart Cities Groups
techUK's Smart Infrastructure and Systems Programme is the champion for smart infrastructure deployment in the UK and for companies operating in that supply chain abroad. It is made up of four areas: Smart Cities, Digital Twins, Energy & Utilities, and Intelligent Mobility and Transport.
The Intelligent Mobility and Transport's group aim is to deliver a digitally enabled, interoperable, integrated, and inclusive transport network that connects people and services with multiple modes of mobility. This programme's focus is to improve the regulatory environment of the wider mobility services ecosystem by working together with Government and engaging with industry around priorities and key challenges.
Our Smart Cities work stream focuses on how technology can help make healthier, more sustainable and more engaged communities a reality. It involves working with a wide variety of our members and helping engage and develop strategies for increasing the capacity of local authorities to make use of these technologies.
This role reports to the Head of Smart Infrastructure and Systems and is a great opportunity to work together with leading industry tech firms and engage closely with government.
The successful candidate will need to have, or a propensity to develop quickly, a good understanding of the opportunities for tech applications in transport and smart cities, and where members can work collectively to understand and enhance those opportunities.
This role requires someone who has the communication skills, confidence and drive to grow their own profile and that of techUK. It will require working with companies driving the development of leading-edge technologies and working to a senior level in a multi-stakeholder environment.
- Work together with members and government to identify key priorities in the sectors
- Support the inception, set-up and execution of events and meetings
- Identify and exploit cross-fertilisation opportunities with other programmes within techUK
- Promote the programme through insights, opinions, social media and PR activities
- Create content in the form of reports or collateral that adds value to members and the sector
- Represent techUK at strategic advisory groups led by government
- Any other duties that might from time to time be required
- Good organisational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to get to grips with complex technical information and communicate this effectively to a range of audiences
- A team player who is comfortable working with senior individuals in Industry and within government
- Comfortable with public speaking
- A self-motivated individual with positive can-do approach who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with competing demands and responding to tight deadlines
- Capability to use the tools and technologies techUK provides, including but not limited to Microsoft Office, CRM, Social Media, Web tools and home working software
Knowledge and Experience
Essential Knowledge and Experience
- Experience of managing relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Strong interest and knowledge in technology, innovation and the transport sector
- Demonstrates a broad understanding of the role of trade bodies
- Good understanding of relevant regulation and policy work
Desirable Knowledge and Experience
- Knowledge and background in smart cities
- An understanding of the economic, social and political environment, members' business sectors and business models, stakeholders and their drivers
This is a full-time role, usually based in techUK's London offices, however techUK operates a flexible working policy. The successful applicant must have permission to work in the UK prior to the commencement of employment.
This role profile is a guide to the work that is required but does not form part of any contract of employment and may change from time to time to reflect changing circumstances.
To apply, please send through your CV to .
The salary range for this role is £32,000-£42,000 per annum based upon experience.