HOUSING QUALITY STANDARDS INSPECTOR
Posted on Oct 31, 2021 by Humanics, LLC
Lake Metropolitan Housing Authority (Lake MHA) administers housing assistance for approximately 1,800 families throughout Lake County. This consists of three federal housing programs, the Housing Choice Voucher (formerly known as Section 8), Multi-Family, and Public Housing programs. These programs offer low and moderate income households the opportunity to rent affordable, decent, and safe housing. More importantly, Lake MHA provides these households a stable living environment in order for them to work towards economic self-sufficiency.
We seek a Housing Quality Standards Inspector (HQS Inspector) for our client, Lake MHA. Reporting to the Director of Housing, the HQS Inspector inspects single and multi-family rental units for compliance with HUD Housing Quality Standards and related housing codes. If you can work effectively with considerable independence; with diverse personalities; and in accordance with Lake MHA and HUD regulations, policies, and procedures, we would like to hear from you!
- Performs initial, annual, or special inspections to ensure unit compliance with Lake MHA and HUD Housing Quality Standards. Majority of the job's duties are performed off-site at single or multi-family dwellings throughout Lake County, Ohio. Advises clients and owners of Housing Quality Standards and Lake MHA inspection policies and procedures.
- Completes inspection reports and communicates inspection results to owners, families, and Lake MHA staff.
- Generates accurate, up-to-date information regarding inspection status and compliance readiness for inspectors and managers.
- Maintains basic knowledge of Fair Housing Law, Landlord/Tenant Law, Lake MHA's policies and practices, and new developments in the field.
- Completion of post-secondary education or equivalent (Associate's degree or higher); minimum of six (6) months of experience and/or training in the management of housing facilities for the physically challenged, elderly, or economically disadvantaged, or equivalent; or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and/or training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Housing Quality Standards Certification required. If not certified, ability to become certified within six months of hire.
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and tools involved in the construction, replacement or repair of dwelling units and buildings.
- Knowledge of local, state, or national housing codes.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and apply laws, rules or regulations to specific situations.
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic. Ability to compare similarities and differences among sets of inspection results based upon numbers, objects, or patterns.
- Complex problem solving ability.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to interact effectively with others to relay information, address concerns, and reconcile differences while maintaining objectivity and confidentiality.
- Strong written communication and documentation skills. Ability to prepare written correspondence and required program reports; and ability to manage files and records.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and typical office equipment (iPad/tablet, scanner, copier). Demonstrated ability to learn agency software (PHA Web).
- Must possess a valid Ohio driver's license with good driving record, proof of insurance, and be insurable under the agency's vehicle insurance plan.
- Physical demands include the abilities to: see details close and at a distance; detect small differences in sound; lift up to 25 lbs.; use maintenance equipment and tools; and be physically active for extended periods of time.
- Working conditions include: indoor/outdoor work in temperature extremes; and atmospheric conditions such as fumes, dusts, gases that may require use of a respirator.
- Legally compliant, confidential and ethical conduct, while living the values of teamwork and maintaining a client-centered focus.
In addition to competitive salaries, Lake MHA offers an excellent benefits package including: medical, dental and vision coverage; PTO and paid holidays; compressed work week; life insurance and short term disability insurance; Ohio Public Employee Retirement and deferred compensation. Please note that Lake MHA does not participate in Social Security.
Equal Opportunity Employer