DevOps AWS Engineer
Posted on Oct 31, 2021 by Request Technology - Craig Johnson
*We are unable to sponsor for this permanent Full time role*
*Position is bonus eligible*
Prestigious Financial Institution is currently seeking a DevOps Engineer. Candidate is responsible for the design, effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of all hardware and software systems including all related infrastructure with a focus on supporting a team of Developers across the full SDLC. The ideal candidate will also provide some level of network support and serve as the backup to the Network Engineer. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation, automation, build, release and deploy of system objects across the company infrastructure.
This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational guidelines. This individual will assist project teams with technical issues in the initiation and planning phases of projects to include: the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in the executing, testing and rolling-out of solutions. Participation on projects is focused on smoothing the transition of projects from development staff to production staff by performing operations activities within the project life cycle.
- Manage and configure AWS, Linux and Windows environments with a heavy emphasis on Linux administration.
- Pursue a rigorous, disciplined approach to software development process and automation.
- Develops, test and maintain build and deployment scripts in selected frameworks (Jenkins/Hudson CI + scp/FTP/etc.) to automate and streamline deployment processes.
- Design processes and workflows with the collaboration of the Development leadership toward the implementation of best practices for productivity and efficiency.
- Actively participate in scrum meetings and design meetings to drive quality releases.
- Monitor applications with APM tools based on proactive measures to identify potential bottlenecks and remediations.
- Produce and maintain documentation on installations, procedures and requirements for systems including activity dashboard(s)
- Provides assistance with the resolution of problems while performing preventative maintenance to avoid problems.
- Ensure availability, reliability, and optimal performance of systems and services by developing the ability to interpret monitoring, logging, and alerting systems output.
- Evaluate monitoring and logging outputs on a regular basis and suggest new (or refine existing) alerting criteria.
- Manage and configure AWS services.
- Provides assistance with the resolution of problems while providing preventative maintenance to avoid problems.
- Ensure availability, reliability, and optimal performance of system and services.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Provide after-hours support on a rotational "on-call" basis and to work "off-hours" as needed.
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineer, or equivalent years of experience in a similar position.
- Experience: Ten (10) years of technology and/or IT experience.
- Experience administrating Linux Servers at scale, comfortable in a Shell.
- Proficiency in a Scripting language (Python, Bash, etc.)
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Ansible or similar.
- Solid understanding of the HTTP protocol and how to troubleshoot web application issues.
- Experience hosting and scaling web applications. Specifically applications written in Java frameworks (Tomcat and SpringBoot)
- Familiar with Java build tools such as Gradle and Maven.
- Solid understanding of how Docker containers work and container orchestration tools such as Kubernetes.
- Experience working AWS services (RDS, EC2, S3, etc.)
- Ability to perform basic admin tasks in a VMware environment.
- Experience administrating Apache Hawtio, Prometheus, Grafana, etc.
- Experience with version control utilizing Git.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with other teams.
- Must possess good communication, organizational, writing and customer service skills, including professional demeanor.
- Must be driven and demonstrate ownership of daily work performance.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Must be flexible and work well in a rapidly growing and changing environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational, time management, and detail skills.
- Ability to anticipate and resolve problems.
- Ability to adhere to all organizational policies and procedures.