AWS Site Reliability Engineer
Posted on Oct 30, 2021 by Lawrence Harvey
My leading Oil & Gas client is looking for multiple Site Reliability Engineers/DevOps Engineers to strengthen the team to work on cloud native technologies, operational support for cloud environments, service improvements and DevOps project related activities. The position will require you to work physically from their offices in the Netherlands travelling between Rijswijk and Amsterdam STCA. Rates are Dependent on experience and the contract length will be a minimum of 12 months.
Please see the full job specifications below:
Subsurface IT Services provide support to geo-scientists, petroleum engineers, subsurface data managers and subsurface operations covering the full life cycle of the Oil & Gas business. Our clients Exploration & Production (E&P) data managers are currently using an extensive portfolio of Subsurface Applications to support the integrated management and delivery of corporate data for use in subsurface and Petro technical applications both in house solutions and vendor applications.
The Subsurface & Wells (SSW) Services team consists of professional staff operating in various locations with current main hub locations Rijswijk in the Netherlands and Houston in the United States with a substantial component of IT support delivered as Managed Services from Bangalore. The Contractor/Cloud Native Engineer will be responsible for the deployment, support and evergreen the clients cloud ecosystem with strong focus on Subsurface technology. The subsurface technology covers covering all Technical Data Management of wells bore data management, wells master manager, sub surface data universe based on the cloud technology like Terraform, Kubernetes, Jenkins, Docker, etc. This workload will include managing, planning, architecting, and monitoring of cloud systems as a Cloud Site Reliability Engineer (SRE). Once the applications are deployed, day to day support of the applications will also remain on the responsibility of the engineer. It also includes knowing and implementing the best practices for deploying Subsurface Applications to the AWS cloud.
Key responsibilities of the SRE include the following
- Designing, planning, sizing and deploying Subsurface Applications on the AWS cloud
- Migrating on-premise applications of the organization to the cloud
- Identifying potential bottlenecks in applications' performance through appropriate troubleshooting.
- Strategizing a recovery plan to compensate for possible downtime or failure scenarios
- Maintaining data integrity by implementing proper access control for cloud services
- Identifying the best practices of cloud architecture to support applications
- Using their programming knowledge like bash, python, PowerShell, etc to write deployment automations for server-less applications
- Automating Subsurface Application workflows to AWS
- Understanding the application life cycle and utilizing APIs
- Identifying and using appropriate cloud services like SAML Ping Identity, DNS, Network, S3 technology etc. to support applications on the cloud
- IT service management and support for the global Technical Data Management (TDM) end-user community. Understanding of key cloud technologies based on AWS.
- Act as interface between customers and Cloud infrastructure support groups
- Plan and execute in Cloud Back End ever greening activities (release management & deployment, security patches, application upgrades).
- On boarding (technical, support model, finance) of new projects and functionality into the operational service.
- Contribute to successful IT project delivery within agreed time and budget.
- Communicate changes and influence stakeholders to align on our Cloud and IT strategy.
Key challenges include:
- Subsurface IT technology is highly technical with automation at the heart of delivery. The functional scope of the IT service is challenging. Managing services under these conditions require specialized tools, skills and knowledge.
- Understanding DevOps culture, working and collaborating in a Virtual team.
- Managing expectations of end-users and stakeholder by providing 2nd/3rd Line application support for our subsurface customers.
- Understanding cloud native tools like Docker, Kubernetes. Jenkins, Terraform.
- Creating an AMI and deploying them using terraform and Kubernetes.
- Excellent understanding of AWS and it's components.
- Certification on AWS Cloud Architect Professional is highly preferable.
- A good knowledge in Oracle, PostgreSQL, SQL, Python, Shell programming.
- A good knowledge of the Linux and Windows Server operating systems, including commands.
- Proficient with Cloud IT architecture design and concepts.
- Proficiency in Apache and IIS web Servers, understanding of Web Security mechanisms.
|DISCLAIMER| If you do not have the right to work in The Netherlands or cannot travel to Amsterdam and Rijswijk, DO NOT APPLY |
If you're interested, please forward your CV to (see below) Recommendations are welcome.
Lawrence Harvey is acting as an Employment Business in regards to this position.