Head of Cloud Engineering - Hands On - Public Sector Consultancy | AWS, Azure, GCP | London
Posted on Oct 12, 2021 by Berkeley Square IT Ltd
Head of Cloud Engineering - multi-cloud (AWS, Azure, GCP)
Full-time, permanent | Remote + regular travel to London | £110-140k + bonus and benefits | SC clearance
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a talented Principal Cloud Architect/Head of DevOps to take the step up to Head of Cloud Engineering for a leading consultancy specialising in government digital transformation.
The Head of Cloud Engineering will lead all UK Cloud and DevOps projects, workforce, and community of practice. The role will include being hands-on involved in projects during all parts of the life cycle, from initial proposals through to solution design, delivery, continuous improvement, and live support.
Your responsibilities will encompass both technical areas and non-technical such as stakeholder management, client expectation management, assurance, quality management, people management, pre-sales activity, etc, with particular emphasis on recruitment, leadership, management, development and retention of a permanent DevOps engineering capability at junior and mid-levels; this is a key goal and success factor for the role.
This role would suit a Principal Platform Architect who has experience scaling DevOps teams.
Skills & Experience:
- Government digital project/service experience, as a lead engineer or platform architect on complex technology transformation programmes/projects
- Hands on expertise and understanding of DevOps tools and automation frameworks across multiple cloud platforms
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Hands-on experience with DevOps techniques building continuous integration solutions using Jenkins, Docker, Git, Maven etc
- Experience in leading, managing, coaching and recruiting more junior members in the team
- Experience developing, migrating and supporting highly scalable, distributed, cloud native, data centric applications and understanding of the underlying enabling technologies including containerisation, container orchestration, automation, service mesh, service discovery, messaging, ingress, Proxy, persistent and ephemeral storage, secrets management etc on AWS, Azure, GCP
- Experience of defining and promoting opportunities to reuse components and common service patterns, understanding the patterns and interactions on a larger scale across portfolios, programmes and wider government context, and how decisions may impact our portfolio of work
- Experience with orchestration and configuration management of cloud provisioned PaaS/FaaS using: Terraform, Ansible, Chef, Puppet etc
- Experience in working with a range of collaboration tools including: MS Teams, Slack, JIRA, Confluence
- Familiar with CI/CD tooling in an DevSecOps environment: GitlabSCM, Gitlab CI, Artifactory/Nexus, Veracode, Sonarqube etc
- Promote technology and vendor agnosticism, whilst making evidence-based decisions when required and thereafter explain those decisions to all levels of both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Experience with developing well documented APIs using: AWS API Gateway, Swagger and OpenAPI standards
- Able to support pre-sales activity by developing compelling solution approach summaries, high level designs, estimates, presentations, product demonstrations and consultative discussions
- Experience with working in a Test-Driven Development or Acceptance Test Driven Development approach using a range of tools/frameworks, ensuring test coverage and execution is in line with the project, programme or portfolio Test Strategy
- Extensive Experience working in Agile environments, aligned to DevOps culture
- Familiar with providing platform support for web application development and experience in Java/.NET frameworks
- Lead the cloud-engineering community of practice, engaging with colleagues to promote participation and attendance at wider industry events
- Familiarity with Application Lifecycle Management and IT Service Management: Splunk, Grafana, Prometheus, Thanos, ServiceNow
- Strong automation and problem-solving skills
This is an urgent requirement and my client is looking to move quickly for the right Head of Cloud Engineering.
Please direct any questions to Ashleigh Roberts at Berkeley Square IT (see below) or apply now for immediate consideration.
* Please note all candidates must have been resident in the UK for the last 5 years with no gaps of longer than 6 months in order to be eligible to obtain SC clearance*