Data Catalogue Product Owner
Posted on Oct 9, 2021 by Mercator IT Solutions
Job Title: Data Catalogue & Data Quality Product Owner
Reports to: Data Governance Manager
Location: UK (Chiswick or Milton Keynes)
Date: June 2021
Purpose of the position
The Product Owner is a new role in BSI who will be responsible for the day to day business ownership, management and development of the BSI Data Catalogue and Data Quality Platforms.
The role will initially focus on leading the business implementation of the data catalogue and data quality software, leading on the design, build and configuration of the tools, own the initial use cases to be deployed as part of the implementation, ensure the relevant business stakeholders are engaged and trained on the software and then transition the product into business as usual.
Once deployed this role will then shape the ongoing development roadmap, manage change requests, ingest new data sources and continue to engage and promote the solution across the BSI enterprise.
This role will require working closely with IT and our third-party vendor who will be leading the technical implementation of the tool into BSI.
This is a hands-on role where the owner will be actively involved in using both products, become a subject matter expert on their functionality and deploy system changes where required.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Day to day business lead for the management and development of the enterprise wide Data Catalogue & Data Quality tools
- Lead engagement with third party software vendor during the initial design, build and configuration of the tools and then continue to develop the products functionality in line with business requirements.
- Lead discovery workshops with key stakeholders to create use case pipeline as part of the initial deployment and then create ongoing development backlog.
- Ensure business stakeholders are engaged in all use cases
- Work closely with the Datamodelling product owner to ensure the Data Catalogue & Datamodelling tools remain aligned and updates are deployed correctly
- Create and ensure delivery of ongoing training plan for business users such as data stewards and data owners
- Be the subject matter expert on the tooling and deploy configuration changes
- Establish and communicate user set up process and IT resolution process
- Work with business stakeholders to identify new data sources that need integrating and then work with IT to deploy
- Establish and deploy change control process for all new changes
- Monitor platform performance monitoring and escalate issues to IT where necessary
Essential Criteria (required to do the job)
Knowledge and Experience
(eg Type, level)
- Experience of using, managing and ongoing development of Data Catalogue and Data Quality tools
- Experience of managing and developing a product or service for end users
- Experience of creating and working with IT and third parties to implement product enhancements
- Good understanding of data cataloguing and data quality and metadata principles and artefacts
- Knowledge or understanding of IBM Watson Product Suite or equivalent products eg Collibra, Informatica
- Experience of working within a professional or regulatory environment
- Understanding of Data Governance principles
Skills and Abilities
(eg Teamwork, IT, Communication, Relationships)
- Capable of engaging business users at all levels
- Proven leadership in delivering outcomes to time and quality
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, manage own workload and taking responsibility for achieving results
- Excellent communication (verbal, written, listening), inter-personal and influencing skills, with the ability to bridge SMEs and business through user-friendly language
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills with a systematic approach combined with attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy
- Effective and proven stakeholder management skills
- Ability to exercise discretion in dealing with confidential or sensitive matters
- Proven analytical, problem solving and logical reasoning skills
- Highly effective individual who continuously improves processes across the organisation
- Enthusiastic team player with a strong customer focus with the ability to deliver under pressure and ensure deadlines are met
- Graduate calibre or equivalent and relevant experience engaging at a senior manager level
- Formal data management and project management certification advantageous
(eg initiative, flexibility, commitment, reliability)
- Self-starter with a high level of initiative
- Positive, hands-on approach, results orientated and with the ability to manage multiple activities simultaneously
- Commercial and customer focus mind-set
- Passionate about data and how to leverage it to drive business growth
BSI Excellence behaviours:
- Client Centric - I put internal and external clients at the centre of my thinking. I am proud to deliver outstanding client service.
- Collaboration - I build trust-based relationships through my ability to communicate openly and honestly. I value what others bring and I work inclusively with others at all times.
- Agility - I am open to change and willing to adapt my ways of working. I explore new ideas and ways to improve things to grow the business effectively.