Data Analytics Engineer/Platform Administrator
Posted on Oct 6, 2021 by Michael Bailey Associates - UK Contracts
Michael Bailey Associates is searching fo a Data Analytics Engineer/Platform Administrator for a major international bank based in Basel.
You will join Data & Analytics team who are responsible for developing, maintaining, supporting data & analytics platforms and systems for/with line-of-businesses. The team is tackling a range of complex software and data challenges, including big data, data warehousing, advanced analytics, Real Time analytics, Business Intelligence and data governance.
The team is open, diverse, and inclusive having staff members, contractors, and consultants. It has 28 team members within a cross-functional structure, and they are all involved in many initiatives internally or supporting stakeholders.
You will be helping us to improve the capabilities of the analytics platform. You will have the opportunity to administer and manage the big-data suite of products in the bank. You will also support business units in their adoption of the platform
This role is both operational (administrating the platform) and project based.
The new contractor will work on the team Big Data platform. It has a large amount of data and the main scope is to support data science cases within the bank. It is a scalable platform, and it is based on the Cloudera technology.
The involvement in the project would be to support stakeholders with the technical requirements and work within a complex environment.
Your contribution to our mission
We collect and analyse a large array of data and statistics on global financial systems and micro-economic activity. From this, we generate a variety of insights that are used and relied upon by central banks, financial regulatory institutions, and academia around the world. Also, usage of data & analytics is vital for us in offering better banking services to central banks.
But we know that our full potential is yet to be achieved. Our aim is to collect a wider variety of data and harness new technology to generate more powerful insights to deliver better service, gain efficiency and agility. This is a chance to be involved in a step change in our capability.
Senior profile with 8+ years of experience in big data platform administration (ideally in a cloud area) and software development within depth knowledge of Cloudera/Hortonworks platforms and very good server administration (Linux) experience able to resolve items and make the big data platform highly available to multiple teams and stakeholders.
- Start date: ASAP
- Latest start date: -
- End date: 31.03.2022
- Extension: Yes (it would be possible depending on the performance)
- Work location: Basel
- Workload: 100%
- Travelling: N/A
Tasks & Responsibilities:
The main involvement would be to make the platform available and enforce some good practices & guidance for the stakeholders. There will be project-based activities as well to help with the Strategy 2025 implementation project.
You will focus on a variety of data management and analytics projects. The aim is on delivering data platforms and systems that will empower the Bank's data and analytics transformation. For that you will need to have broad set of data engineering skills and experience in agile software development methodologies.
Typical responsibilities for the data and analytics engineer role include:
- Administer and manage the various tools in the big-data platform (Cloudera, ELK etc).
- Automate platform deployment by developing IAC (Infrastructure as code) components (Ansible preferred).
- Support the infrastructure for greater scalability, high availability, security and resiliency.
- Develop complementary features to support strict SLA guarantees to end users: Optimize resource allocations, enhanced monitoring capabilities, focus on resiliency, ease of support and governance, multitenancy.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, and enhancing the overall platform capabilities
- Establish best practices and standards in the team around the following: Datamodelling standards, code quality, TDD, DevOps, DataOps
- Working with other teams in the bank and increasing the adoption of the framework.
The roles are spanned across multiple projects that aim to modernise the Bank's data management infrastructure, to name a few, building a new modern data warehouse and data lake architecture, offering innovative data lab environments for self-service analytics, enhancing capabilities to support machine learning and AI use cases, developing a data transfer backbone to support event processing and streaming. Based on your experience, skill and interest you would be considered for appropriate project role.
- 8+ years of experience in supporting data platforms. (*)
- 4+ years working and supporting Cloudera or Hortonworks big-data platforms (with on-prem big data distributions) in an admin role. (*)
- Very good Linus or server administration working experience (*)
- Proficiency in at least one major programming language (eg, Java, Python, Spark) and ability to pick up new tech skills independently. (*)
- Experience with DevOps and specifically working experience in developing Ansible modules for deployment. (*)
- Degree in computer science, or another IT-related technical field. In additional, you will have a passion for data and analytics.
- Very good command of English language
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and would be able to explain complex technical concepts to diverse stakeholders. Please note that not all stakeholders are technical, so there would be a need to explain technical language to non-technical people.
- Quality focussed with commitment to excellence in data engineering solutions
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Very good stakeholder management skills
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, drive, and enthusiasm
- Excellent team player
Nice to have:
- Experience in Agile methodologies and scrum
- Good understanding of standard Data engineering practices and data warehousing, SQL, ETL.
- Experience managing ELK stack, Google Apigee
Michael Bailey International is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.