Digital Archivist and Knowledge Manager
Posted on Oct 5, 2021 by Allen Lane Ltd.
Are you ready to join a Government department undergoing an exciting and significant Digital Transformation? Cabinet Office are seeking the appointment of a permanent Digital Archivist and Knowledge Manager to help support the ambition to make UK Government digital services the best in the world.
This role is based in the Digital Knowledge & Information Management (DKIM) Team, which facilitates the delivery of the Cabinet Office's priorities and purpose through providing business critical information management services. The Cabinet Office creates some of the most important official records in government, including Prime Ministerial records, and the DKIM team plays a key role in preserving these for the future and for the purposes of democratic accountability.
The Digital Archivist and Knowledge Manager is a new role in a new team providing knowledge management, librarianship, archival and search services to the department's business areas. A key part of the team's function is to review information for value through regular processes of disposal and archiving information of historic interest or of value to the department's corporate memory.
The post holder will need to be a librarian or archivist reporting to the Head of Knowledge Management and assisting them to:
- Deliver processes of acquisition, selection, cataloguing and storage of records into structured digital archives
- Deliver systematic digital information disposal
- Undertake information analysis to identify digital information of long-term value
- Respond to FOI and other statutory information requests
- Operate customer/user interfaces across Cabinet Office to enable the exploitation of the stored value of information and records
- Deliver the department's e-discovery and search service, supplying professional assistance to senior leaders and other internal teams, and the Government Legal Department in response to FOI requests, public or police inquiries, litigation, etc.
- Work alongside the Departmental Public Records & Archives team to implement metadata schemas, and keep these under review to ensure continued fitness for purpose
In order to be effective as a Digital Archivist and Knowledge Manager, Cabinet Office are interested in people who can demonstrate experience of:
- Information and record management
- Developing and managing a library or archive, including digital preservation principles and techniques' and understanding of archival/information management standards and practices
Ideally candidates should be an information specialist, archivist or librarian. Relevant industry bodies include IRMS, CILIP and the Archives and Records Association (ARA).
Please see the job description for further information on the vacancy.
You will be assessed based on the following Behaviours:
- Changing and Improving
- Managing a Quality Service
- Working Together
Applicants will be required to provide an up to date CV and supporting statement (up to 1,250 words) detailing how you meet the requirements and behaviours listed above. You will also provide a completed diversity form.
To apply, please email.
Please note that this role requires SC clearance, which would normally require 5 years' UK residency in the past 5 years. This may mean that your security clearance (and therefore your appointment) will take longer or, in some cases, not be possible. You should be expected in time to be subject to DV level clearance.
Cabinet Office are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organisation. You can find out more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion and read our equal opportunities statement on our Diversity and Inclusion page.