Scientific Informatics Analyst
Posted on Oct 5, 2021 by The Scottish Association for Marine Science (SAMS)
The Scottish Association for Marine Science (SAMS) is Scotland's largest and oldest independent marine science organisation, delivering marine science for a productive and sustainably managed marine environment through innovative research, education, and engagement with society.
An exciting opportunity with considerable autonomy to enhance our informatics capabilities and build our research support capacity. You will already have a diverse set of applied skills in computing, web & software development, and data management. As a member of the ICT & Information Services group, you will initiate and support a broad range of marine science research projects for their HPC, informatics, development, and data requirements in what is essentially a DevOps environment. Linux Administration, database, web development and strong scripting skills are essential and experience with other scientific and bioinformatics software would be of major benefit.
The ideal candidate
We are looking for a proactive individual, experienced in current computing technologies, but who is not averse to independently investigating and learning new and emerging ones, including cloud-based, and applying these in support of scientific research. A background in Research Software Engineering would be beneficial.
- Provide direct Data, Development & Informatics support for Research Projects and Contracts at SAMS and potentially UHI: e.g. advice on datacomputing requirements of proposals, implementation of specialist data services (e.g. ERDDAP, GeoServer), support of IFCB, data management of projects (e.g. GlobalSeaweed*), creation of data processing workflows, Database design, development of applications (e.g. web, mobile), User support for high performance & GPU computing, plus general data managements systems etc.
- Support the creation and management of infrastructure focussed web and data services (e.g., environmental monitoring, administrative databases)
- Lead the development of an institutional Research Data Management regime, by designing & building systems and tools to implement the Data Lifecycle, and applying data standards (e.g., MEDIN)
- Lead the development of the Specialist Research Support Capacity within the Information Services department
- Be pro-active in the application of SAMS Health and Safety Procedures
In addition to our remuneration package which includes a generous salary, pension and sickness absence policy, we offer a number of employee benefits to our staff, some of which are listed below:
- Flexible working arrangements
- Purchase of additional annual leave - up to 20 days per annum
- Access to shopping discounts as well as local shop and leisure discounted memberships
- Cycle to work scheme
- Purchase of technology
- Payroll Giving
- Salary Sacrifice - pensions
- Access to wellbeing portals which provide support for mental health, nutrition and fitness and GP referral scheme
- Occupational health support
- Welfare support on site
- Sabbatical scheme
- A number of training and development courses to assist you with your career development - leadership, coaching and mentoring,