Audit Senior Associate
Posted on Sep 24, 2021 by Resource Solutions - Tilney Smith and Williamson
Smith & Williamson
For over a century, Smith & Williamson has provided tailored financial and professional services to private clients and their business interests. Today, the firm is one of the largest independently owned investment managers in the UK in addition to being the country's eighth largest accounting firm. Its 1,800 staff serve clients including individuals, families, entrepreneurs, charities, trustees, professional advisers and businesses from 13 offices in the UK, Ireland and Jersey.
Our Dublin offices provide a unique blend of business and personal financial services ranging from tax, audit and corporate finance to personal financial planning and investment management. Our skill is to link our many service offerings to provide 'joined up' thinking, delivered in an approachable and pragmatic way with a high degree of director involvement.
Assurance & Business Services
We provide a range of assurance and business services to a diverse client base ranging from small businesses and startups to substantial international groups. Our client portfolio includes businesses from a variety of different industry sectors, both private and publicly listed businesses including London Stock Exchange, AIM and PLUSMarkets.
Purpose of role:
To plan, perform and complete the audit process for each assignment.
Reports to: Director, Assurance and Business Services
- Regular discussions with the client to confirm progress, identify solutions to any hurdles and ensure reasonable expectations are met.
- Establish relationship with key contacts at the client.
- Identify and highlight any opportunities for S&W apparent from work undertaken.
- Assist and perform training of junior staff.
- Plan, assign, monitor and review work of junior staff.
- Complete assessment forms of audit team.
- Monitor adherence to budget.
- Assist with the planning of audits and accounting assignments.
- Perform work in accordance with S&W audit and assignment procedures.
- Ensure all areas of the work are completed with any exceptions to this being agreed with the manager.
- Prepare draft accounts/report and completion memo (including identification of control weaknesses or areas of improvement) for review by manager.
- Understand and appreciate key commercial aspects of the client's business.
- Provide regular progress reports to the manager.
- Identify and discuss with manager issues/problems and agree and complete appropriate actions.
- Ensure deadlines met.
- Be able to work on several different assignments at one time.
- Attendance on courses.
- Technical reading.
- Attend client meetings
Judgement: be able to take a situation and reach a suitable conclusion based on information available.
Planning and organising: needed throughout audit process to ensure deadlines met.
Customer focus: develop relationship and gain confidence of client.
Commercial awareness: awareness of the key business drivers and the commercial pressures affecting the client.
Teamwork: ability to optimise the team's performance and fulfil the needs of each team member in terms of personal and professional development.
Technical expertise: demonstrate technical competency in core areas.
- CAI/ACA/ACCA qualified
- Demonstrable audit and accounting experience gained within a professional services firm or industry.
- Technically capable audit & accounts adviser who is able to assist in complex client work
- Good working knowledge of account and auditing standards
- Strong communication skills in order to liaise with clients, directors, staff and other professionals.
- Ability to organise and work on several different assignments at one time.
- Appetite to develop skills in business development.
- Strong Microsoft office skills.
- Previous experience of using auditing software advantageous but not essential.