IT Capacity Engineer - Distributed Platform (VCE vBlock & Nutanix)
Posted on Sep 22, 2021 by Base 3
This role is inside IR35 for UK applicants!
Your part of the deal
You will work as Capacity Management Expert in the Distributed Technologies Domain. This domain is responsible for the capacity and performance management processes covering the: Windows, Linux, ESX, Distributed Storage and Network infrastructure. Your speciality will be in the Distributed Servers area, with in particular the ESX virtualization layer deployed on Converged (VCE) and Hyper-converged (Nutanix) infrastructure.
- proven experience (senior level) with capacity management and performance engineering processes.
- good analytical skills to create complex forecasting models combining business and service metrics with IT resource metrics. All this mainly for Converged (VCE vBlock) and Hyper-Converged (Nutanix) infrastructure running Windows or Linux Operating Systems on a VMWare ESX hypervisor.
- experience with one or more of the following capacity and performance tools: Perfmon, Linux PCP, Splunk, SSRS, Dynatrace, VMware VROPs, Nutanix PRISM.
- good knowledge of SQL language (writing queries) and SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) or Power BI (capabilities of creating SQL queries and build reporting). Also a good level of expertise in Excel is a must.
Your main responsibilities will encompass the following activities:
- Regular monitoring of the capacity and performance of the Distributed platforms.
- Identification and Investigation of capacity and performance issues/problems.
- Report in a comprehensive manner and propose mitigating actions to your stakeholders.
- perform ad-hoc capacity and performance analysis, make recommendations and produce associated reports.
- Collaborate to the publication of the yearly capacity plan
- Organize the monthly capacity follow up meetings with Product Owners.
- Participate to projects in order to collect and validate the demand, assess the feasibility of the proposed solution and make recommendations on the Design and Sizing based on Business requirements.
- Participate in Performance testing, analyse the performance data, propose changes to optimise resource usage and performance, make recommendations and produce the Performance and Capacity Test Report.
- Build capacity models to correlate Business Volumes with Resource utilisation and Service levels. This will require an in depth understanding of the Business Drivers and Service Level Agreements on our platforms.
These activities are done based on the team's standard monitoring and reporting tools: VMware VROPs, Nutanix Prism, Perfmon, Linux PCP, Splunk and SSRS. Whenever needed, you'll have to setup automated data collection and reporting (for the team and the customer).