Posted on Sep 22, 2021 by CHM Recruit
Job title: Senior Ranger
Salary: Circa £23,000 per annum
Hours: 37 hours per week
Contract: Fixed Term for 15 months (potential for extension)
Reporting to: Revitalising our Estuaries Project Manager
Responsible for: A team of five trainee operatives and one project assistant.
Location: 1x Tyne & Wear, 1x Blyth & Wansbeck, 1x Tees & Esk Estuaries
About the Empioyer
Our client's 'Revitalising Our Estuaries' project has been awarded a grant from the Government's £40 million second round of the Green Recovery Challenge Fund supported by DEFRA, a multi-million pound boost for green jobs and nature recovery.
'Revitalising our Estuaries' focuses on employment and skills for young people in the region enabling them to deliver the nature restoration across the region. The project aims to restore Estuary Habitat in six areas, helping mitigate the impact of climate change by delivering impressive, high profile habitat protection and creation schemes to help improve and save our estuary habitats and the wildlife.
Revitalising our Estuaries will support nature restoration at North East estuaries/coastal towns including:
- The North: Wansbeck (Ashington/Choppington area) and Blyth Harbour
- Central: Newcastle Quayside/Gateshead/South Tyneside and Sunderland/Wear areas
- The South: Tees Hartlepool/Stockton/Middlesbrough/Redcar & Cleveland and Esk/Whitby areas
About the role
The Senior Ranger will be responsible for managing a team of five trainee operatives implementing a range of nature based solutions on the estuaries and general environmental improvements along the North East estuaries. You will be managing and delivering practical tasks such as, tree planting, wetland creation, wildflower sowing/planting, fencing, boardwalk construction, green space furniture installation and interpretation installation. This role will be required to work outside in all weather conditions.
The Senior Ranger will also be responsible for liaising with project partners, landowners and wider stakeholders to ensure the successful delivery of these work packages. In addition the Senior Ranger will establish links with wider stakeholders and facilitate public events, volunteering and education opportunities in their respective areas.
They are seeking an experienced, reliable, inspiring team leader who has a complementary mix of practical conservation skills and supervisory experience. You will be confident at developing and delivering community engagement activities such as school visits, public events and volunteer days.
- Information, Advice & Guidance, Teaching, Training, Assessor, Verification or Skills for Life qualifications at Level 3 or above or equivalent
- Experience of working by water and managing health and safety in this capacity
- City and Guilds / Lantra / NPTC licences e.g. chainsaw / brush cutter / pesticides
- Proven experience of delivering a supervisor role managing a team of people
- Proven experience of good quality general construction and horticultural skills
- Full Driving Licence (Or equivalent)
- Experience of working in / by rivers and estuaries
- Knowledge of coastal and estuarine ecosystems
- MIDAS Qualification or equivalent
- Experience of engaging and supporting unemployed and/or disadvantaged people and facilitating personal development
This charity offers excellent benefits including generous holidays and the opportunity to develop your career in a professional, friendly and flexible working environment.
Closing Date: Midnight on Tuesday 5th October
Please click the apply button. You will be taken to a simple CHM Recruit form and then redirected to complete your application for this position.
Make yourself at home:
This charity wants you to be yourself, and they value everything that makes you unique. They recognise and celebrate your difference and together you make this charity a special and great place to work.
This organisation is committed to safeguarding and protecting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
No agencies please.