Power Modelling Analyst - Energy
Posted on Sep 18, 2021 by Mercator IT Solutions
Power Modelling Analyst. A unique opportunity to be at the tip of the spear of a digital transformation in the global energy transition.
The successful candidate will be responsible for modelling and analytics relating to decentralized energy. You should enjoy working with data to uncover insights that inform business, technical and strategic decisions.
The ideal candidate is an exceptional problem solver; precise and detail oriented.
Your responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Modelling power systems and decentralized energy grid/smart grid scenarios, including individual energy resource profiles and varied consumer load profiles.
- Researching current energy technology capabilities and trends.
- Gather data from external and internal sources, catalogue and use them for client scenarios as required.
- Working alongside Commercial leaders to conduct exploratory analysis on datasets, to inform feasibility of projects.
- Working closely with Data Scientists to improve scenario planning tools and help contribute to the product development roadmap.
- Clearly and objectively communicate and illustrate results to the client.
Our business is working at the intersection of markets and innovative technologies to bring about critically needed efficiency, security, & reliability to energy markets.
You will be applying your data science skills to directly to shape the future of energy and drive the energy transition to renewables, from one of the most significant businesses in the sector.
The Career Opportunity:
The team is small and elite, so you will need to thrive on freedom, trust and responsibility while being highly accountable. If it is of interest you may have the opportunity to grow into a leading position within our innovation team where you be responsible for the development of projects across a variety of products and technologies and communication with stakeholders. You should also be motivated to be an exemplar for best in class delivery, showing how the latest innovative processes, technology and tools can bring value to an existing global enterprise structure.
You will be working within flat hierarchies in a dynamic team with flexible working practices. You will benefit from a breadth of career enhancing opportunities, from interacting directly with users and stakeholders from the world's leading energy companies and organisations, to picking up and running with new and disruptive technologies.
The Team/The Business:
Our business is full of natural innovators with big ideas. Every office in our global network contains game changing potential to improve how we bring value to our customers, through combining existing and new content with new functionality.
Now we have a dedicated delivery capability to prototype, test and iterate solutions and services for Platts' customers. We turn our ideas into tangible proof of concepts and scalable blueprints for growth.
We practice hands on innovation. Apps not white papers. We aim to deliver:
- organisational intelligence & value
- products & solutions to be scaled
- measurable & meaningful impact for the global energy & commodities markets
Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong understanding of power systems, including power flows, optimization methods and physical constraints. Experience in modelling power systems is preferred.
- Understanding of power market and energy price fundamentals, as a key factor influencing desired behaviour of power systems.
- Demonstrable programming ability in Python.
- A strong understanding of data structures and performance computing.
- Strong statistical knowledge with experience in analysing energy usage and generation data.
- Strong proficiency in data visualisation.
- Excellent personal organization and ability to prioritize and carry out multiple tasks
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable to work independently
- Must work effectively & collaboratively in a dynamic development environment
- Advanced statistics & statistical programming language like Python.
- Advanced proficiency in Numpy, Pandas, scikit-learn.