Office Assistant I
Posted on Sep 16, 2021 by City of Detroit
CLASS SUMMARY: Assists in routine clerical support duties.
RELATIONSHIPS AND CONTACTS: Reports to a unit head or clerical supervisor; has contact with departmental staff, employees and representatives of other City departments and outside agencies and the public.
Examples of Duties
- Types from rough draft correspondence and reports.
- Types routine and standardized correspondence.
- Proofreads and checks work for accuracy.
- Enters information in defined tabular format.
- Performs routine filing of correspondence, records and reports.
- Assists in maintaining records in databases, spreadsheets and logs.
- Receives and logs correspondence, forms and requests.
- Screens telephone calls and visitors and assists with general inquiries.
- Operates word processors, computers, copying machines and other office equipment.
- Sorts and distributes mail.
- Stamps and seals mail.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Must be able to perform essential functions which involve reading standard English text; communicating with others; and occasional walking, bending or stooping to retrieve and store files. Work is sedentary.
EDUCATION: Graduation from high school, preferably with courses in typing, keyboarding and word processing.
EXPERIENCE: Preferably six months of typing and general office work; and preferably experience with standard office database and spreadsheet software.
Subjects and Weights:
Computerized Examination: 70%
- Evaluation of Training, Experience and Personal Qualifications: 30%
Total: Evaluation of Computerized Examination, Oral Appraisal, Training, Experience and Personal Qualifications: 100 %
Military Service: 0 to 15 points
- Domicile Credit: 15 points
LICENSE, CERTIFICATION AND OTHER SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Candidates considered for placement in this classification may be subject to a Criminal Background Investigation based on the requirements of the position.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS: None
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of office work, terms and equipment.
Knowledge of standard document formats and English usage in business correspondence.
Skill in typing with speed and accuracy.
Skill in the application of standard word processing software.
Skill in performing arithmetic computations with accuracy.
Ability to operate common office automation equipment, including a personal computer.
Ability to interact effectively with departmental staff and other contacts.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to the class. Incumbents may be required to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification. Essential duties may vary from position to position.