Database and Advancement Services Manager
Posted on Sep 2, 2021 by Oakton Community College
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Responsible for advancement department's constituent relationship management database and records management related to data health and integrity. Establishes database entry standards, sets-up online giving appeals tied to appropriate funds and appeal codes, and compiles reports and lists needed to conduct fundraising and stewardship activities. Validates gift entry for processing, conducts prospect research and assists with financial recordkeeping.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the Raisers' Edge donor database, including setting database standards, streamlining monthly reporting, creating and maintaining operational procedures manual, and identifying/providing training for staff. Responsible for complex reports, queries, exports, and imports to database, dashboard reports, fundraising reports and comparison reports. Translates technical requirements and constraints into business related terminology and assists other team members in efficiently using systems. Coordinates with finance function to mirror chart-of - accounts and collaboration on new fund set up between Raisers Edge and Financial Edge for appropriate systems handoff when gift processing to financial management system. Imports data from registrar and other sources as needed to add constituents to the database in alignment with coding standards.
- Responsible for data integrity and health updates for NCOA, duplicate identification, returned mail, and merge as needed. Conducts database clean-up, including reconciling constituent codes, removing/combining duplicate records, standardizing addresses, and restructuring relationship codes to match needs of development and alumni functions. Runs quarterly database health tools to update addresses, phone and email records, and deceased information.
- Responsible for operational functions of the Foundation including: validating daily gift/batch processing, generating mailing lists based on selected parameters for fundraising and stewardship purposes, setting up and refreshing gift receipt/acknowledgement letters in system for automated generation, generating reporting for monthly pledge reminder and past due, pulling donor contact information and oversight of annual donor fund stewardship reports utilizing financial statement data validated by finance, weekly fundraising reports, annual donor tax statement, set up of gift club levels and generation of annual honor roll of donors to include consecutive years giving, maintain registry of all named spaces throughout both campuses including the Performing Arts Center and campus trees, and campaign reporting.
- Responsible for Foundation's prospect management systems, researching, benchmarking, and tracking. Identifies and qualifies major gift prospects. Creates prospect profiles for Foundation staff, Board members and volunteers and stores in donor database. Supports board committees with the development and tracking of prospects.
- Manages vendor relationships with Blackbaud and other systems vendors (including The Raiser's Edge, Target Analytics, and Blackbaud Merchant Services) to evaluate new software, upgrades and modules, resolves system support issues and escalated software support questions.
- Works with Foundation staff and College Relations department to coordinate operational aspects of online giving and online event registration. Provides website updates to College Relations related to Foundation and Alumni web pages, including monthly updates, photo gallery and videos as needed.
- Generates data and responds to annual Volunteer Survey of Education (VSE) national study, using data miner tool for national benchmark comparison.
- Serves as primary backup for the Manager of Finance and Operations to assist in the accounting and financial reporting functions.
- Supports Foundation staff in committee meetings with preparation of reports and data as requested. Serves as backup to Development Specialist in producing meeting minutes for core committees as needed. Attends Foundation Board meetings and other committees as requested.
- Serves as Foundation's liaison to Information Technology and College Relations.
- Provides support and set up for Foundation and College events as needed.
- Ensures proper event set up in Raisers Edge and other systems utilized, including sponsorship packages, ticket pricing, etc. in conjunction with development team.
- Interviews, trains, and organizes workflow of student workers to conduct address update and other operational and database support tasks.
- Exercises discretion in handling confidential materials.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Functional supervision is received from the Sr. Manager of Foundation Finance and Operations. Administrative supervision is received from the Chief Advancement Officer.
Functional supervision of student workers as needed.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 8:15 am - 5:00 pm
SALARY: $56,586 Starting Salary may change due to the completion of staff negotiations.
For further details, visit our website at and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Hiring Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Business Administration, Communications or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Advanced competency with finance/accounting software and databases required.
- Experience with constituent management software required. Competency with Blackbaud's Raisers Edge and a Blackbaud Pro Certification preferred.
- Knowledge of computer-based research methods and database management essential.
- Three (3) years of successful fundraising experience in an academic setting preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of products in Windows environment required.
- Experience with Omatic or like importing software package and Financial Edge preferred.
- Requires ability to mentally attend and visually concentrate on a significant amount of detail work.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed and travel between campuses and to off-campus events.
- Ability to interact professionally and tactfully with people of different levels of education, cultural backgrounds, and life experiences, and to exhibit an adequate level of respect to fellow employees and the College community at large.
Mobility to move from building to building on-Campus and to visit off-Campus entities. Work is performed in a general office environment and is sedentary in nature. Little or no exposure to adverse working conditions.