Network Engineer - 2nd/3rd Line Support - CCNA/CCNP
Posted on Aug 25, 2021 by Flint Consulting Limited
Network Engineer - 2nd/3rd Line support - CCNA/CCNP
Please note this role is inside IR35
My client, a growing ICT support group is currently looking for an experienced Network Engineer with strong 2nd/3rd line support experience to join their team on an initial 6 month contract.
This is a technical role where you will be working as part of the Network Team to implement, operate and maintain a wide range of network and security systems within my client's Group on behalf of both internal and external clients. You will be delivering multiple concurrent tasks with varying technologies in an exciting competitive environment, with exposure to a wide range of emerging technologies.
They are looking for someone with experience in a technical support and implementation role, providing 2nd/3rd level support in a similar field, who will actively contribute with the implementation and support of line of business applications.
- Evaluate, design and implement transformational change to my client's network infrastructure.
- Keep up to date with technology trends and assess improvements that can be made to my client's infrastructure.
- Consult on complex routing and connectivity including Azure Express Route, AWS Direct Connect, cloud security and VPNs.
- Primary responsibility is to administer technical operation of the LAN/WAN including configuration & deployment, monitoring, maintenance & troubleshooting, auditing and log management and upgrade and support of all network systems including Routers, Switches, Firewalls, IDS/IPS & VPN.
- Perform regular system change tasks in line with customer requirements, ensuring that any potential issues are highlighted well in advance of causing problems or delay.
- Maintain and provide technical engineering services for local and remote site network infrastructures including the ability to design, implement and maintain network, security, wireless and voice technologies and solutions.
- Undertake analysis of network traffic, hardware/software configurations, disaster recovery and network utilisation.
- Work closely with various teams such as service desk, application support and database administrators to resolve network connectivity and performance issues.
- Provide direct customer support to resolve customer problems & questions as quickly as possible while maintaining the highest level of customer service.
- Monitor network performance to determine whether adjustments need to be made and advise on where changes will need to be made in the future.
- Participate in disaster recovery tests for LAN/WAN infrastructure and document the findings.
- Participate in the evaluation process of new network systems and services in relation to performance and security requirements.
- Maintain inventory of LAN/WAN hardware, software assets and network IP Addressing.
- Secondary responsibility is to provide project leadership and work with teams to ensure that we deliver a quality product on time and within budget.
- Assist in the collection, monitoring and analysing of IT security metrics to measure the effectiveness of security management processes and producing relevant reports.
- Assist in documenting and maintaining elements of security governance (eg policies, procedures, standards).
- Serve as initial point of contact for information security inquiries and audits from both internal and external parties.
- Keep documentation up-to-date and where required, assist in the provision of training and support to users; Ensure housekeeping procedures are adhered too.
- Monitor, identify and respond to incidents, diagnosing and deciding on the most appropriate solution; to liaise with the system suppliers or other colleagues to ensure their speedy resolution.
- Ensure that where security gaps or non-compliance is identified that this is highlighted in a timely manner to the Head of IT Security.
To succeed in this role you will need to have the skills and experience of the following:
- Strong technical grounding in a wide range of technologies and IT services
- Excellent troubleshooting skills - Able to analyse problems and conduct effective fault diagnosis and system recovery.
- Good understanding of the commonly used concepts, practices and procedures within the network and security operations
- A varied IT related background is required, multi data centre environments with branch office deployments, virtualisation, Cloud IaaS.
- Hands on experience with the following:
- OSPF, EIGRP and/or BGP routing
- Switches: Cisco Catalyst, Nexus
- Firewalls: Fortigate, Cisco ASA
- Meraki WiFi
- Documentation and procedure creation