Junior Research and Data Analyst
Posted on Aug 18, 2021 by Independent Schools Council
The Independent Schools Council (ISC) is the umbrella body made up of seven member Associations* and representing over 1,350 independent schools educating more than 500,000 children. ISC schools are diverse: from well-known boarding schools to non-selective day schools serving local communities. The great majority of children in UK independent schools are in ISC schools: ISC therefore speaks for the sector as a whole. ISC is strictly independent of all political parties and acts in the interests of all children.
A key task for ISC is to provide evidence-based policy advice to government and the public, and to disseminate accurate information about the sector. Both depend on the output of a high quality, proactive research team.
Main purpose of job
Reporting directly to the Head of Research and Data, the successful candidate will provide analytical research support covering all aspects of ISC Research initiatives. On occasion, support will also be needed for non-analytical research projects.
A highly numerate analyst with the ability to work confidently and accurately under pressure. As well as being proficient with a range of technical software (such as Excel and SQL Server) the successful candidate will also have good written and verbal communication skills, be highly motivated and be able to gain a quick understanding of ISC's technical processes.
We are looking for someone who:
- has intermediate / good Excel and data analysis skills
- is highly numerate and literate with an excellent attention to detail
- has basic / intermediate SQL skills and can create, maintain and run a variety of database queries
- has good written and verbal communication skills
- is highly motivated and proactive
- can work well under pressure
Desirable but not essential:
- Experience of using Adobe Illustrator (and equivalent graphic software) to allow creative communication of our research findings is also desirable.
- Programming skills, e.g., C#, Python
- Knowledge of our sector.
- To work extensively with our vast SQL Server database of Census data. Primarily you will be producing data analysis for inputting into our annual Census report but you will also work with this dataset throughout the year on other related research projects as well as smaller ad hoc research requests
- To work accurately under pressure with our SQL Server database of exam result data. Every August we collate and analyse exam result data from ISC schools. This analysis has to be produced very quickly as it is published in the press within a week of release.
- To analyse results from new questionnaires and present findings to the Head of Research.
- To work extensively in Excel to analyse and manipulate datasets.
- To update and suggest new infographic ideas so that presentation of our findings remain fresh and up to date. You will make use of Excel charts but also those developed in Adobe Illustrator or equivalent software packages (such as the infographic presented on page 15 of our Census report)
- To take a leading role on our annual non-technical research project summarising entry requirements at UK medical schools.
- To perform regular SQL Server database maintenance
- To work on other tasks as required, both in the Research and Data team and wider ISC team.
Salary: from £22,000 p.a.
Contract Type: Permanent full time
Closing data for applications: Thursday 26th August
Interviews: 1st Round: 2nd/3rd September, 2nd round: TBC
Office hours: 9am-5pm, plus additional hours in busy periods as required.
Workplace: ISC is a small organisation, with an open and friendly working environment, based near Victoria.