Posted on Jul 29, 2021 by CV-Library
Millbank are in search for an Engineering Manager, this opportunity is working on a contract basis, based in Barrow-In-Furness. Working within the nuclear industry.
The Engineering Manager (EM) is appointed by the Facilities Chief Engineer, with the agreement of the Area Project Manager and the Nuclear Governance Manager (wrt nuclear safety implicated projects) to have responsibility for all engineering aspects of a project. The Engineering Manager has engineering “ownership” of a project and directs the project to an optimised engineering solution, delivered in accordance with a tailored LCM process and due process. An EM may be responsible for more than one project at a time depending upon the scale of that project.
• The EM works with the Area Engineering Manager and to support the Project Manager in the successful delivery of all engineering aspects of the project.
• Determine the SRP Safety Led Design Gated Process and Engineering Lifecycle Maturity gates, with maturity targets aligned to the Project’s objectives and recorded in the appropriate project Engineering Management Plan and agreed with the AEM, in accordance with the Engineering Strategy.
• Liaise with the Nuclear Governance Manager to ensure that all requirements of the NFDA are met to ensure smooth progress of the project through due process.
• Advise Project Manager on engineering risk. Devise a plan to mitigate this risk.
• Implementing the design configuration and ensuring, via controlled and authorised change, that the design configuration is declared and maintained.
•Develop design work scope and support the development of an agreed strategy and plan to deliver the engineering aspects of the project.
• Supervise the production of designs by sub-consultants.
• Ensure that design reviews, optioneering workshops, value engineering workshops are held in accordance with the project Engineering Management Plan.
• Review Facility Requirement Plans as the design develops, supporting the FRP maturing process and FRP achievability including formal review through the Safety led Gated Engineering process and LCM.
• Developing and executing effective design strategies and plans in line with the overall project strategies and plans.
• Delivering integrated and robust engineering solutions, designs, specifications and instructions and documentation that meet the safety, legal, quality and technical requirements in a timely and cost effective manner.
• Determine the presence of technical knowledge and capability gaps for the project and devise approaches targeted at closing them.
• Ensure that the Design Review Chairperson is agreed by the Engineering Authority.
• Ensure the conduct of Design Reviews at appropriate points during the Lifecycle and at least once every 12 months since the last Design Review.
• Agree with the Chairperson the selection of a panel having independence and subject matter expertise.
•Ensure that any issues revealed by the Design Review that may affect other projects are formally and promptly identified to their Engineering Authority and participate in the LFE process.
•Sign the Design Review Minutes to acknowledge any recommendations and/ or actions and ensure that these are enacted.
• To audit designers.
Skills and Attributes
The Engineering Manager is accountable to the Area Engineering Manager for the delivery of engineering aspects of a project and has the authority to direct the engineering aspects within the project in accordance with due process.
• SC clearance or the ability to attain it
• UK national
• Barrow 40 hours a week, 5 days a week. T&S will be considered on a case-by-case basis
• Good communication skills and ability to negotiate and influence others including building and maintaining effective relationships with multiple stakeholders
• Degree qualified ((electrical/ civil / mechanical / nuclear (or similar)
• Knowledge and understanding of processes involved in engineering management of complex multi-disciplinary projects, engineering planning and strategy; organisation and governance; personnel and professional matters
•Experience of engineering in procurement, construction, commissioning phases
• Experience of modern engineering management techniques within complex, multifunctional organisations.
• Experience of modern programming software.
• Experience in setting up Engineering project procedures and processes
• Developing and implementing design assurance plans
• Membership of a relevant professional body (registered with the Engineering Council)
• Knowledge of the full project life cycle stage-gate principles of project delivery. The Company system will be explained after engagement.
• Knowledge of UK Health and Safety Legislation, information concerning specific company safety, quality and security procedures shall be provided in-post.
• Experience of working on complex nuclear infrastructure projects.
•Experience of defence (infrastructure) projects
•General knowledge of key cross industry regulations and standards eg CDM, PED, EN, ASCE
•Experience in managing design contractors and interfacing with supply chain
•Experience in managing cost and schedule performance of large design teams
•Experience in producing and implementing engineering project execution plans
Due to the nature of the business the ideal candidate will need to obtain UK security clearance.
If you’re looking for a new opportunity and have the skills set which the client is looking for, apply with your current and up to date CV today and a member of the Millbank team will be in touch.
Millbank are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons.
Millbank operates as an Employment Agency and Business
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
£50k - £60k Annual
£60k - £60k Annual
£70k - £80k Annual
£47k - £50k Annual
£45k - £50k Annual
£40k - £45k Annual
£42.5k - £44k Annual
£55k - £60k Annual