Lead Business Analyst (Agile/Waterfall)
Posted on Jul 16, 2021 by Methods Business and Digital Technology Limited
Methods require a number of Lead Business Analyst on a permanent basis. Home based with occasional travel.
Candidate must be eligible for SC Clearance.
Methods Business and Digital Technology Limited
Since our establishment in 1990, Methods has partnered with a range of central government departments and agencies to transform the way the public sector operates in the UK.
Our mission is to improve and safeguard public-facing services. We apply digital thinking to ensure the future of our public services is centred around our citizens.
Our human touch sets us apart from other consultancies, system integrators and software houses - we have a customer-centric value system whereby we focus on delivering what is right for our clients.
We passionately support our clients in the success of their projects while working collaboratively to share skill sets and solve problems. At Methods we have fun while working hard; we are not afraid of making mistakes and learning from them.
The Lead Business Analyst will typically play a strategic role in a DDaT multidisciplinary team in a complex change. This will be within agile and waterfall project, programme, and portfolio environments. They will lead others and work to assess situations and understand problems, eliciting, analysing, validating, and gaining consensus of business requirements and user stories across complex stakeholder landscapes. The role will involve strategically influencing and developing both Methods and our clients Business Analysis practices by leading activity across internal and client communities of practice.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in complex transformations, applying skills in, and leading business analysis across a number of different styles of transformation. They will have experience and knowledge underpinned by the tailored use of several frameworks and methodologies to perform as an effective analyst and leader. They will understand the UK public services landscape, and extensive knowledge in one or more sectors or specialisms. In addition to business analysis skills, they will have experience in modelling new services and operational models to architect change aligned to strategy. They will also have demonstrable experience in using emerging technology and innovation to improve the delivery of services.
The role will be home based and will include work on client sites. It is expected that the Lead Business Analyst will quickly acquire a detailed understanding of Methods Portfolio offering to work effectively for our clients. The Lead Business Analyst will also support the development of Method Business Analysis practice.
The Lead Business Analyst will have the following responsibilities:
- Strategically shaping the analysis across complex transformation and stakeholder environments
- Analyse and understand complex user and business needs, including where material is conflicting and drawn from multiple sources
- Map complex processes and information flows into appropriate artefacts for communication with both stakeholders and the team
- Translate user needs into system functionality requirements
- Understand the internal and external situation and environment, eliciting and managing any non-functional requirements.
- Track, review and manage requirements with appropriate stakeholders to maintain records of traceability and prioritisation.
- Negotiate with and persuade stakeholders with a balanced consultative approach to ensure that the principles of user centred design are balanced against service requirements.
- Write clear and concise user stories with clear and testable acceptance criteria.
- Leading role in Methods Business Analysis community of practice, mentoring other business analysts and contributing to client business analysis practice development.
- Managing other business analysts, directing their work, providing oversight and quality assurance of their outputs.
- Maintaining and overseeing the update and reuse of the analysis artefacts and architecture repository on the start and close of each analysis assignment.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Able to strategically shape and lead analysis as part of multi-disciplinary teams operating within programme, portfolio or scaled agile methodologies.
- Demonstrably able to select the appropriate business modelling techniques that are most effective to help people understand the situations, problems, and solutions.
- Design and influence improvements to business structures, processes and information flows supported appropriately with automation and technology.
- Breadth of effective techniques to define and manage requirements, prioritisation, and scope with others in a range of different types of change methodologies and situations.
- Defining and enhancing standards and applying appropriate techniques to elicit and document requirements.
- Managing traceability of, change to and the refinement of requirements, identifying issues and omissions and managing escalations with senior stakeholders.
- Leading work that delivers effectively and efficiently in fast paced environments, in agile and waterfall project methodologies
- Extensive experience of working in different project methodologies and awareness of how to adapt their practice
- Strategic approach to stakeholder management to understand objectives and resolve tension and conflict.
- Extensive Business Analysis or relevant knowledge gained from recognised bodies (BCS, BABOK, Agile PO).
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills, including the ability to create clear observations, analysis and conclusions based on customer interviews, published requirements and data.
- Excellent written and verbal communicator.
- Pro-active approach to personal and professional development and mentoring of others in Business Analysis best practice.
Desirable Skills & Experience:
- Business Architecture experience/knowledge (TOGAF, BIZBOK)
- Practical experience and knowledge of Lean practices.
- Good understanding of public services and technology marketplace with knowledge of products, platforms and emerging technologies.
- Specialist knowledge in a business domain or other digital specialism
- Specialist knowledge in security, data, and privacy
- Knowledge and understanding of GDS Service Standards.
- Knowledge and understanding of Software development life cycles
- Experience in managing story development in tools such as JIRA, Azure DevOps or similar.
- Experience in collaborative and remote tooling (Teams, Slack, MIRO, Mural).
- Experience in Enterprise Architecture tooling.
- Ability to understand complex financial issues combined with deep analytical skills.
- Experience of working in scrum environments with team definitions of ready and done.