Senior Business Analyst (Agile/Waterfall)
Posted on Jul 16, 2021 by Methods Business and Digital Technology Limited
Methods require a number of Senior Business Analyst on a permanent basis. This role will be home based and require occasional travel.
Candidates must be eligible for SC Clearance.
Methods Business and Digital Technology Limited
Since our establishment in 1990, Methods has partnered with a range of central government departments and agencies to transform the way the public sector operates in the UK.
Our mission is to improve and safeguard public-facing services. We apply digital thinking to ensure the future of our public services is centred around our citizens.
Our human touch sets us apart from other consultancies, system integrators and software houses - we have a customer-centric value system whereby we focus on delivering what is right for our clients.
We passionately support our clients in the success of their projects while working collaboratively to share skill sets and solve problems. At Methods we have fun while working hard; we are not afraid of making mistakes and learning from them.
The Senior Business Analyst will typically play a leading role in a DDaT multidisciplinary team, within agile and waterfall project environments. They will apply analytical and problem-solving tools to assess situations and understand problems, eliciting, analysing, validating, and gaining consensus on business requirements and user stories. The role will involve leading business analysts in small to medium sized projects and supporting the analysis of more complex transformations. They will be responsible for leading a variety of business analysis tasks, working independently to deliver the required outputs, managing stakeholder relationships, and developing others through sharing best practice and mentoring.
The ideal candidate will have experience applying business analysis skills in digital transformations across a number of different styles of transformation. They will have experience and knowledge underpinned by the tailored use of several frameworks and methodologies to perform as an effective analyst. They will understand the UK public services landscape, with knowledge in one or more sectors. In addition to business analysis skills, they will have experience in how emerging technologies and innovation can benefit the delivery of improved public services.
The role will be home based and will include work on client sites. It is expected that the Senior Business Analyst will quickly acquire an understanding of Methods Portfolio offering to work effectively for our clients. The role will support the development of our Business Analysis Service and Community of Practice.
Senior Business Analyst will have the following responsibilities:
- Analyse and understand complex user and business needs, including where material is conflicting and drawn from multiple sources
- Map complex processes and information flows into appropriate artefacts for communication with both stakeholders and the team
- Translate user needs into system functionality requirements
- Understand the internal and external situation and environment, eliciting and managing any non-functional requirements.
- Track, review and manage requirements with appropriate stakeholders to maintain records of traceability and prioritisation.
- Negotiate with and persuade stakeholders with a balanced consultative approach to ensure that the principles of user centred design are balanced against service requirements.
- Write clear and concise user stories with clear and testable acceptance criteria.
- Contributing to Methods Business Analysis Community of Practice and mentoring other business analysts
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Extensive Business Analysis or relevant knowledge gained from recognised bodies (BCS, BABOK, Agile PO).
- Leading the analysis as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrably able to select the appropriate business modelling techniques that are most effective to help people understand the situations, problems, and solutions.
- Can recommend and influence improvements to business structures, processes and information flows supported appropriately with automation and technology.
- Breadth of effective techniques to define and manage requirements, prioritisation, and scope with others in a range of different types of change methodologies and situations.
- Defining or selecting standards and applying appropriate techniques to elicit and document requirements.
- Managing traceability of, change to and the refinement of requirements, identifying issues and omissions and managing escalations.
- Leading work that delivers effectively and efficiently in fast paced environments, in agile and waterfall project methodologies.
- Extensive experience of working in different project methodologies and awareness of how to adapt their practice.
- Excellent stakeholder management to understand objectives and resolve tension and conflict.
- Good problem solving and analytical skills, including the ability to create clear observations, analysis and conclusions based on customer interviews, published requirements and data.
- A confident written and verbal communicator.
- Pro-active approach to personal and professional development, and mentoring of others in Business Analysis Best practice
Desirable Skills & Experience:
- Practical experience and knowledge of Lean practices.
- Understanding of public services and technology marketplace with knowledge of products, platforms and emerging technologies.
- Knowledge of Business Architecture (TOGAF, BIZBOK).
- Specialist knowledge in a business domain or other digital specialism.
- Specialist knowledge in security, data and privacy.
- Knowledge and understanding of GDS Service Standards.
- Knowledge and understanding of software development life cycles.
- Experience in managing story development in tools such as JIRA, Azure DevOps or similar.
- Experience in collaborative and remote tooling (Teams, Slack, MIRO, Mural).
- Ability to understand complex financial issues combined with deep analytical skills.
- Experience of working in scrum environments with team definitions of ready and done.